one or two motors?

lowflier

Recruit
I'm looking to buy a used 26-27 cruser i can trailer and weekend camp in at defferent lakes.<br />i see twin engine and single engines at the same prices.<br />the older ones tend to be twin the newer single?<br />One guy told me two engines add so much wieght<br />to the boat you won't go any faster?<br />is this true? :confused: showard@phillipsind.com

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: one or two motors?

With horsepower being equal (two 120's or one 240) the single will be faster because it has less weight and less underwater drag with one outdrive. If the twins have more total horsepower than a single the speed will depend on how much more power. It would have to be at least 50 more to make much difference. Twin engines are double trouble and maintenance expence. However if get home relibility is a concern than two are better than one. Boater who go far off shore prefer twins. <br /><br />Buttanic

18rabbit

Captain

However if get home relibility is a concern than two are better than one. Boater who go far off shore prefer twins.
A well-maintained single engine :) is infinitely more reliable than a pair of “it’s anyone’s guess” :confused: :confused: maintained engines.<br /><br />If single engines were a problem far offshore, people in Kansas wouldn’t get fresh seafood. :D Darn near every commercial fishing boat is single engine.

Uncle Dave

Petty Officer 1st Class

An alternate to the twin engine is to have an aux. kicker of 10 hp to get you in. You mentioned mostly lake use. Not like going offshore.

ZmOz

Captain

It's mostly a matter of preference. I would prefer having two engines, having a backup engine. Also if something went very wrong in the engine (like throwing a rod) it would probably be cheaper to fix/replace one of two smaller engines rather than one large engine. Also if one engine is down for whatever reason it won't ruin a weekend of boating, you'll just be a little slower. Alot of people keep a spare powerhead for this reason...

18rabbit

Captain

Also if one engine is down for whatever reason it won't ruin a weekend of boating
Never experienced this but I read that if a boat has twin engines, part of a thorough see trial is to shut down one engine and see how it handles. Some hull designs are such that anything more than traveling in a circle is not realistic with just one motor.

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer

True most commercial fishing boats are single engine, but most are also diesel powered displacement hulls that are not pushed as hard as recreational boats because fuel economy<br />is a primary concern whern you are making a living with a boat.<br /><br />Buttanic

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

My first experience with boats was in NY many years ago. I have also spent a couple of years boating in tidewater Virginia. Most of my boating has been in south Florida and the Keys. <br /><br />I have run singles, singles with a kicker and twins in a period of over 35 years. Read the posts - you will read tales of woe from guys who had to get towed in or like new motors that threw a rod - I have never seen a post here where a guy who had twins or a kicker fail to get home. I run twin V4s on a 23' CC and have come home on one more than once - - but I got home.

lowflier

Recruit

GOOD ADVISE SOUNDS LIKE TWO IS BETTER?<br />I WIL ONLY BE A FRESH LAKE WATER GUY (SAD)<br />BUT I LIVE IN DALLAS.<br />I SOUNDS LIKE ALL THE MOTOR PROBLEMS AND COOLING AND WINTERIZING RELATED.<br />I THINK IF I USE A CLOSED SYSTEM WITH A HEAT EXCHANGER ON BOTH ENGINES OR EVEN A RADIATOR AND<br />ELECTRIC FANS FROM OLS CARS I COULD START THE BOAT UP ALL THE TIME IN THE DRIVE WAY AND KEEP IT RUNNING GOOD JUST LIKE A CAR, PLUSS I COULD KEEP ANTIFREEZE IN IT YEAR ROUND LIKE A CAR.<br />IS THIS A GO IDEA?<br />WHY DONT ALOT OF PEOPLE DO IT?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Lowflier<br />Two engines add relibilty for sure but also maintenance cost is double. You will use more fuel on the water and towing. A heat exchanger and antifrezz a good idea either way. Boat is heaver to launch and retreive. <br /><br />Forget about a radiator. When it is 100 out side why would want a fan blowing 180 degree air inside your boat when you have a whole lake full of cool water. Even if you had a radiator you could not run in the drive way without water running to the engine. Rubber water pump is in the outdrive on most boats and it will melt without cooling water running to it.<br /><br />For offshore in the ocean a second motor is a must as loss of power can put your life in danger. Twins are great if you do not mind double the maintenance time and cost. They will also burn more fuel from the extra friction, weight, and drag in the water. A kicker motor big enough for your boat will get you back in and ensure your saftey.<br /><br />Twins do have a advantage when docking as you can turn your boat in it own length.<br /><br />For an inland boating I still think a Kicker is a good idea, But all you really need is a good anchore and food and water.