One of the better days in my life

KaGee

Admiral
Re: One of the better days in my life

The day ya bought it, and the day ya sold it! :)

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have a 19' long patch of dirt that I can't wait to grow grass on again.<br />One down & one to go(mine).<br />I know it will make my day too.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Kiwi Phil:<br /> I sold my boat today. :) :) :) <br />Cheers<br />Phillip
'dat mean we won't be seein ya anymore? :(

NOSLEEP

Commander

What no boat!<br />You must fell naked. You need help. :)

Kiwi Phil

Commander

I'll still be around.<br />Just can't work out what to get next.<br />The I/O in the wet berth was not a good idea, so that's why the boat went.<br />The nest will have to be on a trailer.<br />I will watch the posts on boats and motors closely.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Dunaruna

Admiral

Phil, I'm gobsmacked. You were recently discussing upgrades, what happenned? Most people dream of a 25' Flybridge Mariner wet parked on the goldcoast (I do). Was it in need of major renovation?<br /><br />Aldo

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

I thought the best day would have been becoming as Aussie ???<br />Crikey maaate ... from Steve's hometown too.... :eek:

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> Most people dream of a 25' Flybridge Mariner wet parked on the goldcoast (I do<br />Aldo
I'm close at 5000lb 24 Express Cruiser in a 26'slip on the westcoast, but the upkeep and maintenance will run ya down. Sometimes wish for that "second" day, and going back to one of my smaller boats, but there aint no looking back now. I'm hooked!

Kiwi Phil

Commander

I am in Steves home town too actually.<br />The Grandkids are over and went up there to see him with the Crocodiles etc just last week.<br />I really admire that guy (the Crockodile Hunter Steve Urwin - 100% self made, from the 1st 1cent upward).<br />Aldo, the lesson I learnt with a boat in a wet berth is "do not have one with a I/O (or leg)". It cost me $200 everytime I wanted to have it lifted to check oil/anything. <br />When I antifoulded back in June, they found fillings in the oil and the only way out was a precision rebuild lower leg and replacement parts in top box.<br />There was only trouble with 2 cogs, a worn shaft and a bearing.<br />John, my mechanic/worker, needed time to find an engineer to repair/rebuild but the Marina wanted the boat out of the slings in 4 days, so had to go with the Mercruiser rebuild.<br />John kept telling me,the parts were easily and cheaply repaired/rebuilt (or something) and the bearings replaced. He did get a price just to show me and the cogs and shaft was under $400 plus the bearings. John reckoned it was a simple job, he just needed time to organise.<br />Cost $4,500 for the Precision rebuild from mercruiser, and they wouldn't give me the old box back for John to repair as a spare... <br />I got sick of being at everybody's mercy, and everybody taking a whack at my pocket.<br />I want something on a trailer.<br />The only option was to go south to a Marina at Horrizon Shores off Gold Coast where they would have lifted it and put it in rack storage, but that was 1.5 hrs drive so not very convenient.<br />I am also sick of the pricing Mercruiser set on their parts. <br />Without upsetting any one, I really can't wait for the Chinese to tear this market apart. <br />For the life of me, I can not see how Mercruiser justify their prices. <br />But then again, guess they are going to go the same way as many other industry's, like the apparel industry etc, who think they are so damned good and important and the Directors pay cheques get so fat they think ripping it up their clients is the done thing.<br />Anyway that's what i have done. Will be back with questions re smaller boats soon. Am looking now.<br />Cheers<br />Chillip

Dunaruna

Admiral

Phil, sorry to hear about the mercruiser woes, FWIW volvopenta aren't any cheaper (believe me!).<br /><br />You are in a beautiful part of the world up there, hope you're back on the water soon.<br /><br />Aldo

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Look at that, two guys from Austrailia talking about "up there"!!! :D <br /><br />
You are in a beautiful part of the world up there,
Guess it's all relative! :D

Dunaruna

Admiral

Steve, The land of Oz is roughly the size of Nth America. I'm in Miami, Phil is 1000mls due north, maybe Philadelphia. <br /><br />The northerners (Phil) call us southerners 'Mexicans' because we often migrate up north for holidays when our winter sets in, similar situation with Florida? Where Phil lives is truly a beautiful place, its subtropical so it doesn't get too hot, ideal all year round. It also doesn't get the cyclones that further north get.<br /><br />Aldo

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Thanks Aldo. You got it in one shot.<br />It won't take me long to get back on the water.<br /><br />What you didn't mention is how those New South Welshmen (wonder if Steve knows who they are) :D call us Banana Benders, and why. :D :p <br />The olnly problem we have with Southerners is the ones that move North to stay, AFTER selling their matchbox sized city unit for big big bucks, and buy a large piece of real estate and home here for a lot less, but more than the market price, hence are prices are driven up by them.<br /><br />As I see it, the more that move up the merry'r.<br />Our little town is now a city, although I live out in the country. that has happened inside 10 yrs.<br /><br />Don't want to skite tho Steve, it is particularly nice up here.<br />The State motto is : Beautiful one Day, Perfect the next. ;) <br />Cheers<br />Phillip

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

cheers kiwi,<br />take a look at some Al. hulls. they are quite a<br />bit lighter, easily trailered and good on petrol.<br />MY 22' starcraft islander only weighs about 1500lbs<br />dry. if I had alot of extra time and money, I<br />think I would convert it from an I/O to twin OB<br />set up, although the 140 4cyl get's GREAT gas<br />mileage. also Al. hulls/stringers never rot ;) <br />good luck,<br />M.Y.

ndemge

Commander

Sold mine last night on ebay, took a wonderfull loss.

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not the time of year to be selling... otherwise anybody is going to take a hit. Buy in the fall and winter and sell in the spring!<br /><br />Of course, I bought in the spring and paid too much... I'll be taking a hit no matter when I go to sell mine down the road.