One more bellows question (gear lube hose)

Boater31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am attempting my first bellows change on a alpha one gen 2. Using manual #14 as I guide I see it never mentions what to do with the gear lube hose. It seems like it has a high chance of snapping the threw transom connection if not cut right away.

So if I understand correctly I should cut the tube before I even start taking bell housing off. So for reassembly I plan to use a knife and cut the tube off the gimble housing fitting and use new tube from fitting to bell housing. I assume this is better then the trying to pull it off the fitting. I don't know what the bell house side looks like but I assume you can get in there to reattach that end.

Lastly my goal is to replace all rubber in that area to avoid doing this again until bellows need to be replaced again. Is there anything else that should be replaced like the water fitting threw transom and tube fitting threw transom.

Is the loctite and primer still recommend as in the book.

Replacing with OEM uni bellows, shift cable, cable bellows, trim senders, water and lube tube. Sierra exhaust bellows.

​​​​​​​Thanks.

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am attempting my first bellows change on a alpha one gen 2. Using manual #14 as I guide I see it never mentions what to do with the gear lube hose. It seems like it has a high chance of snapping the threw transom connection if not cut right away.

So if I understand correctly I should cut the tube before I even start taking bell housing off. So for reassembly I plan to use a knife and cut the tube off the gimble housing fitting and use new tube from fitting to bell housing. I assume this is better then the trying to pull it off the fitting. I don't know what the bell house side looks like but I assume you can get in there to reattach that end.

Lastly my goal is to replace all rubber in that area to avoid doing this again until bellows need to be replaced again. Is there anything else that should be replaced like the water fitting threw transom and tube fitting threw transom.

Is the loctite and primer still recommend as in the book.

Replacing with OEM uni bellows, shift cable, cable bellows, trim senders, water and lube tube. Sierra exhaust bellows.

Thanks.

Yes to cutting off water hose(if that what you meant by cutting)....that's what I just did. Doing my bellows, etc for first time to on Alpha 1 Gen 2. Although I do NOT have a oil lube hose. I am doing all OEM bellows ( transom repair kit ) and did Trim sender/limit and gimbal. The water hose on the gimbal housing connects to a plastic nipple..versus the metal barb on bell housing, which is why i cut to avoid snapping it.

Boater31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did mean cut. I'm just not sure about the oil hose. The bearing is still fine, it's the sealed type and is smooth and boo noise.

Since I have your attention how can you tell us bellows adhesive is expired. I have a bran new tube that has 01 07 9A stamped and a old tube that says 07 01 17

Boater31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anymore thoughts on how do deal with the lube hose and if the bellows advise is expired or not.

Thanks as always..

achris

More fish than mountain goat
If you are only replacing the bellows, then LEAVE EVERYTHING ELSE CONNECTED. You do not need to remove the water hose, or the oil monitor hose to replace the bellows, any of the bellows!

To tell if the adhesive is expired, open the tube and squeeze some out. If it's still liquid, it's fine, use it.

Chris.........

Boater31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's interesting, I thought the book had you remove the bell housing. How would you do that, just remove hinge pins and tilt bell housing up.

I plan on changing all rubber, shift cable and trim senders. So I gotta take bell housing off right. I figure the plastic parts of water and lube thru transom fittings should be ok if I don't break them.

Both adhesive tubes are still plyable so I guess that means they are ok.

Thanks.