One Lugnut is not a "lugnut"...Can't remove

109jb

Lieutenant Commander
Re: One Lugnut is not a "lugnut"...Can't remove

If you or a friend has a pipe wrench, at least give it a try. I have removed several of the locking lug nuts with a pipe wrench.

If that doesn't work and you have an impact wrench, auto parts stores have a special tool to grip the outside and remove them. It works like an external ez-out.

BTW. The locking lug nuts are useless these days. Any thief that wants your wheels will get them. All they need is a cordless impact and one of the special tools mentioned above.

Here is a link tot he tool:

http://www.autobarn.net/emlugnutrem.html

mrtommy03

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Everyone for all the ideas!! I love this forum, and I'm sure I'll be using it alot in the coming months.

I ended up going to Discount Tire, asking them for a Gorilla Lock Socket. They were cool and gave me one (Since I was afterall buying the tire from them)...Not the right one of course, but they didn't need it back. Took it home put it over the locking lugnut, took a hammer to it a few times, and BAM!!! I now was able to get that stupid thing off.

One issue down, who knows how many more to go ;)

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

Like some of the other guys said, it's simple... Get a regular 1/2" drive 12 point socket (I think it might be a 13/16") it will just start to go over the cylinder. Use a 5 lb hammer (or similar) to drive it into/onto the cylinder. Then use your 1/2" ratchet to turn the cylinder (lock nut) off. I have had to do this numerous times. It works. I just can't remember what size socket to use.

EDIT: Sorry type too slow...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

take the hub off, just like you were changing the bearing. that the wheel and hub to the tire shoe. you do not have to take the complete trailer.

BF

Lieutenant

he got it all ready.. read his last post.

escapade

Petty Officer 1st Class

because i'd rather make something then break something, I've made a few tools to remove lugnuts like that, using round stock and a pipe, fit the round stock into the slots on the anti-theft nut, hold in place with tack, place a good lenght bar on the round stock, and tack in place, remove from anti-theft finish welding and remove nut, and now its reusable and you have a better tool to remove it with:D

however seeing that you have little to no tooling, your option worked out better for you:cool: