One cylinder low compression

etek14

Cadet
I have a 8 year old 3.0glp-j engine, use only 2 or 3 times a year. Sits alot and has been in salt water occasionally. Started up this year as usual for a check and found milky oil. No white smoke outnthe exhaust. Maybe a little trouble idling. Compression check shows 80 on the aft cylinder, the rest are 145+, did notice a droplet of water on that cylinder plug. Pressurizing cylinder at TDC revealed air escaping thru adjacent cylinder and exhaust I assume on that adjacent cylinder exhaust port. Could this be a head gasket or something worse(of course it can be worse).

alldodge

Staff member
I have a 8 year old 3.0glp-j engine, use only 2 or 3 times a year. Sits alot and has been in salt water occasionally. Started up this year as usual for a check and found milky oil. No white smoke outnthe exhaust. Maybe a little trouble idling. Compression check shows 80 on the aft cylinder, the rest are 145+, did notice a droplet of water on that cylinder plug. Pressurizing cylinder at TDC revealed air escaping thru adjacent cylinder and exhaust I assume on that adjacent cylinder exhaust port. Could this be a head gasket or something worse(of course it can be worse).

The head gasket would be my first guess.

etek14

Cadet
Thanks for the reply, gonna carry to the dealer for further diag and repair in the morning. Said possible gasket or valve problem if water entered cylinder

alldodge

Staff member
Why not just pull the head off and have a look before you take it in?