Onboard Charger Wiring

Bryant Davis

Cadet
I just recently purchased a dual-bank onboard charger for my boat. Unfortunately I am unable to find a good mounting location in the rear rigging compartment where the batteries are located. My question is, would it be acceptable to mount the charger in the center console, and extend the battery leads to the rear provided I use the same or better gauge cable? I can't seem to locate any info on this.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Bryant Davis<br /><br />Also...The charger is a Minn Kota if that makes any difference.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Onboard Charger Wiring

Bryant, you really should talk to the manufacturer about this. With that said,the distance would be a major factor (you didn't say what size boat you had, or how long the wire runs would be). The next important factor is the current rating of the charger (need to know that also). Here are the two main problems as I see it: 1)As wire legnth increases, so does the resistance....too long of a wire run and you will not be fully charging your batteries. This can be compensated for to some extent by going to thicker wire. 2)If you entend the factory cables, you will need to place a fuse inline(at the battery) to protect the wiring from "burning up" if a short circuit happens either at the charger or along the wiring.

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Onboard Charger Wiring

Any time you have a long run using DC use the largest gauge wiring you can get away with. As waterone1 said the longer the distance the greater the resistance. Also protect using an inline fuse.<br /> As for gauge I here is a site for info.<br /> http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm