On Cape Cod NO Evacuees

Ralph 123

Captain
On Cape Cod, evacuees share tales of horror: But 7 sex offenders ID'd among Katrina refugees<br />By Joe Burns/ Upper Cape Codder<br />Saturday, September 10, 2005<br /><br />BOURNE - As they settled into their new home at Camp Edwards less than 24 hours after many were rescued from New Orleans, 209 evacuees wept tears of joy and despair. <br /> <br /> But seven of those evacuees, whose criminal pasts in Louisiana would qualify them as registered sex offenders in Massachusetts, received a ruder welcome. <br /> <br /> The seven males, none of whom was identified by name, were segregated from the families and children who arrived at Camp Edwards. <br /> <br /> Public Saftey spokeswoman Katie Ford said local police and state police are aware of who the individuals are and are working to classify them this week. An eighth man, John Kitchens, 46, of New Orleans was arrested on a warrant. No details on any of their criminal pasts were provided. <br /> <br /> The other evacuees told of the rotten fish'' smell, the pestilent mosquitoes and the dead left floating in the streets - and gave thanks for their new home on the Cape. <br /> <br /> I don't want to go back,'' said Antasha Love, one of the guests'' at Camp Edwards in Bourne, who include 25 children and 22 pets. <br /> <br /> Meanwhile, refugees from the storm praised the people of Massachusetts, with a few specifically thanking Gov. Mitt Romney yesterday as they told of facing down death. <br /> <br /> Retired Marine Elvert Shaw, 52, wasn't thinking yesterday about when he'd get back to the Big Easy. We're enjoying ourselves here. The governor's good,'' he said of Romney, who has helped oversee the temporary housing operation. <br /> <br /> All of those who arrived here on two airliners were never told their destination when they boarded the planes. But with their once-carefree city a toxic mess, these refugees had no choice but to flee. The water came upstairs . . . I was scared,'' said 6-year-old Keyontay Dimes, who bravely faced the press. <br /> <br /> Meanwhile, some of the newcomers from New Orleans made outraged accusations of racism, memories of being torn from their homes fresh in their minds. <br /> <br /> They pumped water out of million-dollar neighborhoods and pumped it into African-American neighborhoods,'' said Garren Essex of New Orleans. They flooded history - New Orleans black history.'' <br /> <br /> Yesterday, it all seemed like a bad dream. <br /> <br /> Gracie Beauvais, 71, eased into a lawn chair with the help of military officials and described how she stood in the murky waters three hours waiting for her daughter after the storm had passed. <br /> <br /> I thank God that I'm alive. That's the best thing. Once you're alive from a storm like that,'' she said, pausing, I survived every storm that ever came.''

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: On Cape Cod NO Evacuees

Sounds like good news;they got it under control.<br /><br />Ken

Ralph 123

Captain

Meanwhile, some of the newcomers from New Orleans made outraged accusations of racism, memories of being torn from their homes fresh in their minds. <br /><br />They pumped water out of million-dollar neighborhoods and pumped it into African-American neighborhoods,'' said Garren Essex of New Orleans. They flooded history - New Orleans black history.'' <br />

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Meanwhile, refugees from the storm praised the people of Massachusetts, with a few specifically thanking Gov. Mitt Romney yesterday as they told of facing down death. <br /><br />Retired Marine Elvert Shaw, 52, wasn't thinking yesterday about when he'd get back to the Big Easy. We're enjoying ourselves here. The governor's good,'' he said of Romney, who has helped oversee the temporary housing operation. <br />

D

DJ

They pumped water out of million-dollar neighborhoods and pumped it into African-American neighborhoods,'' said Garren Essex of New Orleans. They flooded history - New Orleans black history.'' <br /><br />
What an absolute load of Crap! Pumps weren't pumping anything anywhere. But, he believes it and some will capitalize on it. Dare to guess which party? ;)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Ralph, I won't defend that behavior as I find it indefensible, but maybe some perspective will help you understand where they're coming from.<br /><br />Racism is alive and well in Louisiana. DJ, no doubt you observed it when you lived there, but if you haven't been back lately, La. is decades behind the rest of the country where race relations are concerned (or at least the rest of the south).<br /><br />Now we all know that million dollar homes are built on higher ground, and people with million dollar homes are more likely to have generators & pumps, and we all know which direction **** flows. <br /><br />So, while the pumping could be about race, it's more likely about economics.<br /><br />But, if you live with racism (real racism) on a daily basis, you might start to see it everywhere even when it's not there.<br /><br />So it's not surprising to hear a black resident of New Orleans attribute it to race.<br /><br />Still, I would be outraged but not surprised to learn that some city or county services department, fire or police or other, provided pumps & generators & did the pumping, and that race did have something to do with it. I'm just saying, in New Orleans, that is entirely possible.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> Still, I would be outraged but not surprised to learn that some city or county services department, fire or police or other, provided pumps & generators & did the pumping, and that race did have something to do with it. I'm just saying, in New Orleans, that is entirely possible.
Absolutely incredible jtexas. You will push for any tiny little hope to support your poor victim liberal hogwash.<br /><br />In so doing, you help to perpetuate the unfortunate circumstances that the Democratic Party has subjugated these people to.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

why you want to label me, Boomyal? "poor victim liberal?" <br /><br />You inside my head or something? I wondered who that voice belonged to...who else you got in there with you? Y'all got to keep it down, now, it's getting late...and stop shooting those blasted guns, no wonder I can't get any sleep!<br /><br />How many years you lived in Louisiana? How long since you been back there? The heck you know about this part of the country?<br /><br />I offer you a little personal insight into some cultural goings-on in a part of the world about which you know nothing except what the mainstream media feeds you (and we all know how much you trust them), and you think I got some kind of hope for hogwash?<br /><br />Hogwash!<br /><br />Read 'tween the lines, what I'm saying is, if a Katrina victim plays the race card, you won't be able to tell whether it's genuine or not. The victim was there, and he don't even know if it's genuine or not. Your friend the Rev Jackson plays that card, you know he's bluffing. But I know you won't argue if I say there's still plenty of racism in this country...so why is the rest of what I said so hard to believe?<br /><br />You ought to know by now that I ain't pushing any kind of political agenda, I just calls 'em like I sees 'em. Agree, disagree, debate, debunk, or riducule anything I type, but no need to attack my motives.<br /><br />How bout it, podna?

rogerwa

Commander

I tend to agree with Jtex's reasoning.. I am outraged with the slave ship comparisons and playing the race card. I live in lilly white Mn and do not know if the LA is still oppressing blacks. I do not think anything overtly related to color happened, but I don't doubt race is a lens many people in NO view the world through. True or not. I also agree about the economic perspective.