On board battery chargers

BBogey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Guys,<br /><br />At your suggestion, I'm looking at an on board battery charger. Since the prices really vary, can you tell me what you think of this one at Cabela's? (Only $81, any good??) I'm only charging my trolling motor by itself. <br /><br />THANKS in advance!<br /><br /> <br />Storefront > Marine > Boating Accessories > Battery Chargers / Components > Guest Charge Pro On-Board Chargers > You are here: Guest Charge Pro 2608 On-Board Charger <br /><br /> <br />Guest Charge Pro 2608 On-Board Charger Item: IC-013299 <br />Price: $81.99 <br /> <br />Qty: <br /> <br />Guest Charge Pro 2608 On-Board Charger <br />Charge-Pro charging systems feature components completely sealed in waterproof thermal epoxy to prevent damage and corrosion even when submerged or during rough rides. Units have three-stage charging cycles for fast recovery, overload protection with automatic resets, LED lights to indicate charging status, and “Smart” technology that prevents battery damage even when the charger is left on. The Model 2608 Single Bank charger is 6-amp and can be permanently mounted on your boat and measures<br />6-3/8"L x 2-1/16"H x 3-1/2"W. Can be left on for maintenance during storage. Use 12-volt systems. Charger also accepts the 10-ft. wire extension for connecting a starting battery in the stern of the boat. <br /><br /> Receive a $10 Cabela's Bucks rebate coupon with each charger. Use it just like cash on your next order from Cabela's. Coupons expire 12/31/01. <br /><br /> <br />Back to Guest Charge Pro On-Board Chargers

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: On board battery chargers

Ahoy, BBogey.<br /><br />I don't think you will find a better value for your bux in a waterproof, on board charger.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

BBogey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys! I can't begin to tell you all how much I've appreciated your advice since I got into this "boating thing"! :) <br /><br />You all have walked me through many a problem, or dilema and I appreciate it! I'll be ordering my charger tomorrow! Any idea how to figure out how long it takes to charge a battery?<br /><br />THANKS AGAIN!!!

petryshyn

Commander

BBogey:<br /><br />If your battery was fully charged before you used it, you can get a rough idea by the use of Amp/hours. If you draw 20 amps for 2 hours, that equals 40AH. To replenish the charge with a 6amp charger, it'll take approx. 6.6hours (40AH/6 = 6.66) I don't think you have to worry about how long it takes, as it has a fully charged indicator by the sound of things....<br /><br />Good luck! :)

steve forsythe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can anyone tell me the way a typical outboard motor is charged?? I have a 2000 merc 200. I have 3 batteries with a battery switch with 1, 2, or all 3 used at once. The batteries were all new until i had some work done on the motor, when i got it back they were all dead. I recharged them with a charger and was wondering if i need an onboard charger. Are there altinators on outboards? Sorry for my ignorance. Thanks.

petryshyn

Commander

Hi P*S<br /><br />You bet there is a charging system. Whether its working or not.....that's a different story.<br />>was the selector switch in the "all" position when the batteries went dead?<br />>how much time between the last time you used the boat, till they went dead?<br />>why 3 batteries? (help me determine if you need a charger)

steve forsythe

Petty Officer 1st Class

The boat came with one battery that was a little old. I wanted for sure to have 2 batteries on board. I bought a switch that has positions for 1 battery, 2 batteries, or all. The electrician told me we might as well keep the original battery since it was fine and hook up the other 2 i had bought, as i had the room anyway. The boat sat for over 2 months in the cold. I am not sure if the switch was on all or not because it was at the shop. They had it a total of 3 plus months. I recharged them and it has been 3 weeks since i have started it. I am very parinoid about dead batteries.

petryshyn

Commander

Outboard charging systems are fragile to say the least. If I were you, I'd take the old battery out and use it in something else. I'd select one battery for half my day, and the other for the second half of the day. That way, you won't demand maximum current from the charging system for long. Then when you go to dock it, select the third position where the old battery was, and everything is now isolated for storage. (no chance of drain) Be sure to remove the battery cables from the old battery installation, or they could short to ground.<br /><br /> I guess the short of it is.......you don't want more than one battery hooked to the engine at one time, and you want all batteries isolated from each other and from the engine as well, when in storage.<br /><br />Good Luck! :)

steve forsythe

Petty Officer 1st Class

i forgot to mention there is an 'off' selection also. What about using 'all' to start the outboard, and then switching to either one or two to run. Why is it not a good idea to run the motor with the switch on 'two' batteries? Is it bad to have the motor running off two batteries at the same time? Why?

petryshyn

Commander

The key to longevity is to keep the current demand on the charging system lower than its maximum capability. Alternator systems will not live as long if they have to produce their maximum output for extended periods. If you park the boat for months and the batteries self-discharge, when you start the engine, the alternator has two low batteries to contend with.(three is really asking for trouble) Since each battery can draw 30-40 amps from the charging system, the alternator will put out its maximum in attempt to satisfy the load. It will now do this for twice or three times as long as it normally would have with one battery. The current demands of the batteries will drop off as they become charged, but by then, the charging system could have overheated.<br /><br />If you start out with 2 fully charged batteries, no problem, connect them together. A fully charged battery will only draw approx 1-5AMP. Its when they are low that problems start. If you leave your boat docked for long periods, get a charger on the batteries before you go out, and you'll have minimal problems.<br /><br />I have a feeling that the reason you want 3 batteries is because you are paranoid that it won't start when you get to the launch, so you want to parallel them with the switch. Am I right? This ofcourse would in effect boost your system. The theory here is OK, but the charging system will suffer if the engine is allowed to run with 3 low batteries to contend with. <br /><br />The way I see it, you have 2 choices:<br />>be sure all batteries are fully charged before launching (use a charger)<br />or<br />>start on 2, switch to 1 at a time until both are charged separately.<br /><br />Hope this helps....(good questions) :)

steve forsythe

Petty Officer 1st Class

That helps a ton. I really never thought it through. I will charge all 3 up and run off one during the day, maybe off 2 while drfting with the accessories on and the motor off. Thanks for the help.