On Board Battery Charger - Northport Troller

dzurinko

Seaman
Anyone know of a small onboard battery charger I can install on my tinny so that when docked I can simply plug into electric and charge my battery? I could hide it under the deck if there is something as small as a half loaf of bread.

dzurinko

Seaman
Re: On Board Battery Charger - Northport Troller

Thanks Don. That's exactly what I was looking for. The motor I have (1987 35hp Merc) is electric start. I assume it charges the cranking battery but I don't know for sure. Just bought the boat, motor, and trailer for restoration and don't know much about the motor other than it runs fine. If it DOES recharge the battery, can I still tie a duel battery onboard charger; one side to the cranking battery and one side to a accessories battery or will that screw the charger up as there would be recharging going on from the motor when underway.?

Grub54891

Admiral

Yup,the charger isnt on when you are running the engine,the charger dont care. A true smart charger will only charge the battery that wants the charge,it wont charge the one that don't need it. If they both need it,it'll charge both.
Grub

dzurinko

Seaman

Thanks grub. That makes total sense now that you mention it. Can't use both at once unless I have a really long extension cord that floats. Thinking about the Minn Kota MK-210D. Charges both at once. I'll have to do the research if it can do a standard cranking battery and a deep cycle gel battery. I guess they are intelligent and know the different characteristics of each battery???

Grub54891

Admiral

Nope,you have to have either both gell,or both flooded.the chargers are programmable for either/or. Not both on one setup. Unless somethung changed that I'm not aware of.
Grub

dzurinko

Seaman

Ok thanks. Good thing I didn't buy the gel yet. Thanks for the insight.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Gel battery? Not an AGM?

My Dual Pro charger can charge, flooded, AGM or Gel. No programming.

dzurinko

Seaman

I had a gel a few years ago on a different boat. I liked it. You could virtually install it upside down and no leaks. I thought it would be good for bouncing around in a tinny. Do you think AGM is better for trolling motor and accessories?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I had a gel a few years ago on a different boat. I liked it. You could virtually install it upside down and no leaks. I thought it would be good for bouncing around in a tinny. Do you think AGM is better for trolling motor and accessories?
I just bought two of the DieDard Platinum AGMs. They are made by Odyssey.

dzurinko

Seaman

Thanks Bruce. I may do the same.

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gel battery? Not an AGM?

My Dual Pro charger can charge, flooded, AGM or Gel. No programming.

I'm with bruce on this manufacturer. I've owned two boats with them. The first one was a two bank and the current one is a three bank. Understand that they are separate chargers in one unit, so all batteries charge at the same time from one power source. I've had excellent service from them.