Omc V.s Brp

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class
who do you think would win a OMC evinrude agnsnet a BRP etec evinrude in a flat out race? considering both outboards were new, same HP, same prop, and they were hanging off the same model boat with the same amout of waight on board.

i have read that the OMC's were 40 pounds lighter in the 150 H.P. class
just throwing that out there.but etecs are using state-of-the-art technology.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: Omc V.s Brp

The E-tec. why? We Canadians design em better

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i don 't think it would be a fair comparison.

Laddies

Banned

We can only anwser the question on BRP when we see how many of their engines remain in service after 50 years. At present BRP is killing the older OMC engines by not building parts, thats the way cunacks get rid of the better made American stuff.

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

yea thats sad to see a outboard die off because a company wont build the parts.i guess they want all the old OMC's to die so they can make more money

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Now gentlemen hold your fire ... and let me set the record straight in this Omc vs Brp debate.

We all need to understand that Brp created a small division to take over a dying product from a dead company Omc ... that had been killed by Mercury.

And Brp is not doing good with the johnson line because it was dying prior to acquisition and most of the Johnson distributors survivors have switched to Mercury either prior or imediatly after Omc bancruptcy. ... thank to Mercury. (the company has another name but I forgot)

How did this happen ??? Well here in Canada some distributors, with the support of Mercury, sold their OB motors at cost and below for several years in order to kill competion ... and they succeded ... it killed Omc and many other Japaneese OB brands. Most Omc distributors either closed or switched to selling Mercury OB's.

Canada being a small market in America it's a sure thing this killing competition method was used in major boating areas all over America. Brp just took over temporary support and will get nowhere since Johnson products have lost credibility with the general public when it comes to buying a Johnson OB.

Not your fault Johnson OB lovers (like me) ... not Brp that was the only taker and cannot bring the popularity back, not Canada, not the USA, Put simply ... MERCURY won the marketting war ... period.

Amen

PS: I own a 1981 Johnson 9.9 hp that has low hours and that I still use for trolling ... and that I pamper ... It is NOT for sale ... LOL

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

u cant just blam mercs

Evinrude FICHT 200/225 Fuel Leak Advisory
The Coast Guard advises owners and operators of boats powered by 1999 or 2000 Evinrude FICHT 200 and 225 horsepower outboard motors about a fuel leak problem that causes a potential fire and explosion hazard. There is evidence that fuel leaks affecting these outboard models have resulted in fires and explosions that, in some cases, caused personal injuries. The Coast Guard advises owners and operators to cease using 1999 or 2000 Evinrude FICHT 200 and 225 horsepower outboard motors until such time as the defect is corrected.

The Coast Guard recently learned that in November 2000 the Outboard Marine Corporation sent a "service upgrade bulletin" to its Evinrude outboard motor dealers concerning the company's 1999 and 2000 model year 200 and 225 horsepower models. The upgrade was intended to "reduce the likelihood of fuel leaks, which can be a potentially hazardous condition." After further investigation, the Coast Guard learned that between July 1999 and December 2000 OMC had received reports of an unacceptably high number of fires and explosions involving the company's 1999 and 2000 model year Evinrude FICHT 200 and 225 horsepower models.

The Coast Guard has the legal authority to require manufacturers of boats and engines to notify owners and to recall and repair or replace products that contain defects which create a substantial risk of personal injury to the public, or which fail to comply with an applicable U.S. Coast Guard safety standard. The Coast Guard has determined that the problems involving the 1999 and 2000 model year Evinrude FICHT 200 and 225 horsepower motors constitute a defect that creates a substantial risk of injury to the public. Under normal circumstances, the Coast Guard would notify OMC that a safety recall was necessary and would pursue the correction of this defect via OMC. However, OMC filed for bankruptcy in federal court in December 2000 and has since sold its Evinrude and Johnson outboard engine lines to Bombardier Motor Corporation of America. Bombardier has agreed to accept responsibility for this recall and will be notifying affected Evinrude owners in the near future. Bombardier reports that they intend to distribute upgrade kits to dealers that will correct this problem and that several thousand of the affected outboards have previously been corrected by OMC through the installation of these upgrade kits.

The Coast Guard warns all boaters that there is a serious danger of a fire or explosion with continued use of uncorrected 1999 and 2000 model year Evinrude FICHT 200 horsepower and 225 horsepower outboard motors that could result in serious injury or death.

Customer Accessibility • Webmaster (Technical Website Issues) • Disclaimer, Privacy & Internet

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

OMC's Ficht fuel injected engines were introduced in 1997 in response to EPA requirements for cleaner-burning, fuel-efficient marine power. Ficht engines, however, were plagued with problems that OMG has admitted helped put them in the red due to numerous costly "upgrades" and engine redesign. The resulting customer ill will led to decreased sales even though later models were redesigned and improved. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQK/is_2_6/ai_71766946

so if the EPA never came along with these new rules OMC might be still be alive

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

And I have my Dad's 1946 5 HP that runs like a top. It will get a full restoration over this next winter.

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

It was a sad day for me to see OMC die. OMC was king on the water in my opinion. Multiple things I think, done OMC in. Short sighted or wreckless management may have the bulk of blame don`t know?
Same thing that happened to OMC, now is what is happening to our auto industry. Imagine seeing one of the big three die. May happen. Bombardier have done great things with Evinrude. I wish not and think it foolish on their part to let Johnson slide the way they did. I have a 2000 70 Johnson by OMC. The Japanese have many motor companys and Auto companys. I think America should keep the remaining companys we have in this area.

OMC was also Lawnboy. Lawnboy was at one time reguarded the best lawnmower you could buy. Lawnboy was OMCs` baby. They sold Lawnboy to Toro in the early to mid 90s for much needed cash.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I don't care if it so unfair as to put a 250 Etec against a little 3 hp OMC, my money would still be on the three. BTW, lawnboy was the best mower ever made. We finally gave up on ours last year, after we had ABUSED it for 22 years, and that was after buying it used.
We have a toro now, and I don't like it.
As soon as I get the funds, I am gonna get me an older (50s - 60s) OMC. Right now, though, I have the newer versions, and love the reliability, but they aren't "classics."

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

happy to here that :)

Thanks for the added infos ... I only knew one side of the coin (I know the guy who initiated the Merc marketting stunt)

Prior to that stunt and Omc bad management there used to be as many Omc dealers here as there where Mercury.

Now I only know one dealer ... and they sell both Evinrude and Mercury and upon my last visit for a 15 hp they were pushing for the Merc while I was looking at a 15 hp 2 cycle Johnson. I m still sorry I did not buy that toy.

My Johson 9.9 still runs like new ... but I will refurbish to make it look like new ... lol

tommays

Admiral

i have owned many fine small jonny/rude outboards :D

But OMC has been doing STUPID things going back around 1970 or when ever they put out the electric shift lower units on there other wise great outboards

If that was NOT shooting yourself in the foot what is :confused:

And then there is the even worse stuff they did with the sterndrive line before they got it right and sold to Volvo

Tommays

Tommays

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

and i love how BRP tryes to say how light there outboards are but there etec are still 30-40 pounds heaver then a old OMC in the upper horse power class.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i have owned many fine small jonny/rude outboards :D

But OMC has been doing STUPID things going back around 1970 or when ever they put out the electric shift lower units on there other wise great outboards

If that was NOT shooting yourself in the foot what is :confused:

And then there is the even worse stuff they did with the sterndrive line before they got it right and sold to Volvo

Tommays

Tommays

I heard that ... Lol My father owned an Omc boat with stern drive ... it was next to hell and never ran right for more than one hour after each rebuilts & repairs.

Turns out that in the world of business some mistakes will not go un-noticed, and one has to pay the price. So did Omc ...

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The E-tec. why? We Canadians design em better

Our clever neighbors to the NORTH design Evinrudes? I live 20 miles from Waukegan, IL and have a BIL who is a senior R/D engineer working there(I gotta find out what that sorry SOB is doing down there all day.):D These motors are assembled in Renaissance Industrial Park in Racine, WI.

There is going to be a bunch built in China pretty soon. BIL is going over for 6-months to help set up the lines.