OMC Tru-course steering cable removal from intermediate housing

jonmurr

Cadet
OK, this is hard to describe with words. I'm removing the engine and intermediate housing for overhaul and am removing the tru-course steering cable from the intermediate housing. 76 Stringer 235. Trying to, anyway. According to the illustration in the service manual, the tru-course shaft that runs through the intermediate housing is retained by a bolt that is OPPOSITE where the cable comes into the drum. In my boat, This is hard against the intermediate housing! I'm stumped as to where the alleged bolt is, or how to get the shaft out if the intermediate. <br />Thanks<br />Jonmurr

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Tru-course steering cable removal from intermediate housing

with the drive off, rotate the steering until you locate the bolt in the transom end of the cable,remove this bolt, remove the steering gear with the shaft from the outside,then remove cable drum from intermediate.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

The set screw is located thru an aperature in the rim of the drum.(left side, I think) Pay attention to the spacers and washers when the shaft is removed.

KaGee

Admiral

Jon...<br /><br />Mine had a plastic cover that protects the cable from debris. I had to push it out of the way before I could see the screw. It's best found while you watch and someone else slowly rotates the steering wheel. It has to be aligned just right for you to get a screwdriver to it and remove the screw.