omc trolling motor died

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1989 OMC trolling motor I assume, and it was goin along and then just died. I have the batteries fully charged, and the two fuses coming off the batteries are good. There were old rusted circuit breakers but I replaced them 2 years ago. Anyway, I took the lower part apart and cleaned it up real good, and it still doesn't work. Just wondering where to start. It is a foot control 3 speed.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: omc trolling motor died

Check for voltage at the foot switch. If it's present, hold the foot switch down and check for voltage at the speed selector switch. Change settings and check each of the terminals. If you have voltage at the speed switch the problem is in the wires going down the shaft or the motor itself. It's probably not the speed coils as the motor would run on other speeds. If they were all open, the motor would still run on high.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I haven't checked it yet. Too busy. But if there is no voltage at the foot switch, I'm assuming its the on/off switch or the plug. Any ideas on how to test them? I only have an ohm meter, but a buddy let me use his digital fluke meter. But im not an electrician. If ya'll can put it in dummy terms, that would be great. I do know the difference between ac and dc, so I'm not that dumb. Thanks!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

DO NOT USE AN OHMMETER TO TEST FOR VOLTAGE! Use a voltmeter. Positive lead on the hot side of the circuit, negative on ground. Start at the receptacle. If you have voltage at the receptacle, the problem is bad connections between the plug and receptacle, or in the wires to the foot switch. If you have no power at the receptacle, work back toward the batteries. If you have voltage at the receptacle check for voltage where the wires from the plug attach in the foot switch. If you have voltage there, but not after the foot switch, use a short piece of wire to jumper the two terminals on the foot switch. The motor should run. If it doesn't you did an incorrect test. The trick is to follow the voltage. When you lose it, the problem is between that point and the point where you last saw voltage.