OMC Trim Limiter / Gauge question

Richard R

Seaman Apprentice
Boat:<br />88 17' Seaswirl: Tempo Sport<br />4.3 GM<br />OMC Cobra<br /><br />All stock, not sure of the throttle brand.<br />One trim switch on the throttle handle, no "trailer lift" button, I use my the one trim button for everything and just listen when it tops out.<br /><br />Question:<br />Wondering if this boat should have some type of upper trim limiter on it when running?<br /><br />I usually run the trim based on speed and boat attitude, trim down coming out of the hole and trim it up until she sits flat.<br /><br />The other day my son asked me to try to throw a "rooster tail" while we were moving so I started running the trim up a little more than I usually do, got some "tail :) " but didn't want to do to much as I figured it put the u-joints in a bind. I also have a trim gauge (and it still works to) seems to run WOT well with the needle about middle of the gauge. However there is a lot (about 75%) of the top part of the gauge that is available, maybe I can trim up more than I have and pick up another couple hundred RPM. Although she runs around 4000 - 4300 now depending on weight in the boat.<br /><br />Does anyone know if there should be limiter on this unit?<br /><br />Regards

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: OMC Trim Limiter / Gauge question

There is no limiter on the OMC, the guage itself is your only limiter because it shows you the safe operating range for using the trim with the engine running. On a properly working guage once the needle hits the top you should stop even though the drive can trim up much more you don't want to because it's puts too much stress on the u joints and shafts.

Givener316

Cadet

the gauge in my boat trims up to about half way in the gauge then will jump to full trim when going into trailer mode. i try not to run in any more then half the gauge. i think thats my limiter per say.

Richard R

Seaman Apprentice

Well, sounds like I have been doing it about right, I agree about not running with it up to high. <br />Interesting about the "no limiter", I never thought about it, just watched what I was doing and a buddy of mine thought it was odd that I only had the one switch and no limiter. <br /><br />Thanks for the input guys... learn ALOT on this board!!!!!<br /> :)