OMC Tool Equivalents

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay i have the manual and the BRP kits...now in reading through the steps needed.... I have a few ?'s...first the tools an stuff needed...are they really needed or is there another alernative.. i.e. homemade equivalents<br /><br />1. OMC Float Guage for 25HP to 75 HP<br />2. OMC Piston Stop tool

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC Tool Equivalents

1. turn carb upside down float should be level<br />2. you need some method of stopping piston in the sameplace twice a dial indicater may be adapted and just pick a number say .020 for marks a and b

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

level with side of carb..or ?? also could i use a wooden dowel or something to mark TDC or what is the best way??

o/b tech

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With the carb upside down the float should be level with the bottom of the carb.<br /><br />Take an old spark plug and remove the entire porcelin center section so that what you are left with is the empty metal portion that threads into the spark plug hole. Tap the inside and thread a bolt with a nut on it up at the head. make sure the bolt is long enough to stick into the spark plug hole about an inch. Tighten the nut down to the metal casing so that the bolt can't be adjusted. When you use this tool be careful not to get over aggressive and damage the top of the piston. You've just made a brp piston stop tool. Hope the info helps.

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks O/B ....another quick question ..the special screwdriver noted in the teardown of the carbs....is it really that special...or will the proper size screwdriver work....I'm not trying to get out of this cheap, just don't want to buy tools if they are one time use or maybe two, but if task could be completed with items i already have then all the better...

o/b tech

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its not nesseccary but helpful. Use a small screwdriver and make sure it is small enough that it does not make contact with the threads inside the carb. If you are careful it can be replaced fine.

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thats what i wanted to hear....well off to make due with what i have...<br /><br />Thanks O/B

o/b tech

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glad I could help and hope you have a good boating season.