OMC tilt, when solenoid bypass works

out_bored

Cadet
If have an '87 or '88 OMC 3.8L I/O (the type on stringers and with the big black flexible transom seal that, from experience, muskrats love to chew through). <br /><br />Like has happened to some others awhile ago, my tilt/trim just stopped working and the solenoid just clicked away. I had to leave it at dock, but a friend brought a friend who apparently powered the solenoid secondary with a battery, and raised it while I was away. I haven't been able to contact him to find out what he did, and I don't have a manual yet. Sounds like a simple fuse issue, thiugh.<br /><br />Problem is, I can't find a fuse, for love nor greasy knees, and hints in these forums haven't led me to one yet. I need to lower the unit so I can replace the gearoil to overwinter, so any hints will be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: OMC tilt, when solenoid bypass works

More Likely he Jumped Accross the solenoid with a wire or pliers or screw drivers or.........<br /><br />A Simple Test Light will tell you Where the Power Stops......

tmclendon

Seaman

If it's a 3.8L, it's not a 87 or 88...I think the last year for those was 84 or 85.<br />Anyway, I had one for 20 years.<br /><br />There are 2 50 amp fuses, they are in a bracket on the top-starboard-rear of the engine, near the exhaust elbow on that side. They are side by side, brown in color, and might look like plain wire connectors. They have a wire clip thing that secures the halves of the fuse holder. Just pop it off with your finger, and give a good pull/twist on the front half of the fuse holder. There is a large green/blue wire connector in the same bracket to the left of the fuses, this is the main connector to the engine wiring harness. There's a lot of wires in that guy!<br /><br />One of those fuses supplies the circuit that energizes the solenoid, thus since you hear clicking, it's probably OK. The other supplies the circuit that is actually switched by the solenoid, I bet it's blown. I hope so anyway, if it's not the fuse, it's something worse.<br /><br />By the way, when you find a good source of those big 50-amp 5AG fuses, buy a box, you'll need em. I thinj you can find them online pretty cheap.<br /><br />Good luck!<br /><br />Tom

out_bored

Cadet

Snake Bit - thanks!! I went up to my cabin and sure enough, once I found the brown thingies, I popped off the spring clip (and my knuckle) and found one blown 50 Amp fuse.<br /><br />As you also predicted, I also could not find a convenient replacement since at this time in northern Ontario, people are more worried about spark plugs to prep their snowmobiles for the season than finding finger-size boating fuses.<br /><br />For safety, i just jury-rigged a replacement using 3 15 amp fuses of smaller size strapped, wrapped and extended and voila: 1 lowered stern drive. <br /><br />Thank again Tom, I couldn't have fixed it so fast without ya.<br /><br />John

tmclendon

Seaman

Happy to help out. It's unusual to have such an easy fix on those OMC tilt units. Hope all your problems are that easy to fix!<br />Tom