omc tilt/trim-97-70 hp

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
there are 2 rods that look like half-inch thick hydraulic pushrods that prevent the motor from coming down all the way vertical. as a result, my boat lifts in the front and wont plane right. please advise.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: omc tilt/trim-97-70 hp

That sounds like you're lowering the engine manually. The PTT electric motor should pull those two trim rams in hydraulically.

In manual mode, the engine can be lowered by releasing the manual release valve BUT it will only lower as far as those trim rods.

We need a somewhat better description of the problem. Does the electric motor operate as it should, etc?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

As Joe said, we need more info.

Is this boat new to you? Will it tilt down but not trim down?

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That sounds like you're lowering the engine manually. The PTT electric motor should pull those two trim rams in hydraulically.

In manual mode, the engine can be lowered by releasing the manual release valve BUT it will only lower as far as those trim rods.

We need a somewhat better description of the problem. Does the electric motor operate as it should, etc?
the electrics work fine. this was the first time out on his particular boat. tilts down all the way to those trim rods and looks as if those rods get pushed into their housings about half an inch or so and that's it. the tilt shuts off because of the overload switch.
it looks to me like the motor needs to travel another few inches to be parallel with the transom. any ideas?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Roscoe, The downward motion of the long tilt rod will force those short trim rods into the PTT Unit. Since yours won't do that, it obviously isn't working properly. You might tilt it all the way up and see if the fluid (Dextron III ATF) is full or overfull.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If in fact the fluid is fine, you bleed the system, and still have no trim, you will have an internal blockage of a valve or passage, or the trim rods are seized. (I would lean towards a blockage since the trim rods will move the 1/2 inch as stated.) You will need a factory OEM manual(service or accessory) to troubleshoot this, as I find the Clymers and Seloc do not cover it sufficiently.

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks, guys. i'll call johnson in the morning and get a manual.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Hey Roscoe, My OMC Service Manual for my '98 150HP Johnny doesn't include the PTT. You may need the OMC Accessories Service Manual

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the heads up on that. i'll have a talk with the parts guy before i buy anything.

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

actually just did a search and was able to buy both the factory motor repair and the factory accessories service manual on ebay.