OMC tilt sending unit availability

jetfuel

Recruit
AAAAAARGH! I am going to pull out all three of my hairs if I can not locate a tilt sending unit for my 1987 4.3 with the 800 out drive. It has two wires dangling in to the water, With the gauge relevant NOT to the trim but to the salinity of Atlantic salt water... Any body have info on new unit or a alternative fix to OEM?

wire2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: OMC tilt sending unit availability

The original consists of an Allen-Bradley potentiometer with an arm to change the resistance with travel. I believe you could make a substitute with parts from an electronic supply house for less than $10.

You'll have to establish what the arc ? will be from in to out, then choose a pot that will give appropriate resistance change for that travel to make the gauge read properly.

chiefalen

Captain

Thats not a 800. Refer to it as a cobra. E-basic power don't have it?

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah...parts are getting scarce for the Cobras...

Not for the standard Cobra they're not. Just the stupid trim sender. The rest of the parts are readily available.

chiefalen

Captain

Danond:HA You must be talking about stringers. Want to trade?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Not for the standard Cobra they're not. Just the stupid trim sender. The rest of the parts are readily available.

Yeah you would think that a trim sender would be like any other "wear" item and be after-market made.

He may just have to find a used transom mount and buy it. There's a lot of those out there and they seem to go fairly cheep...

chiefalen

Captain

I have 2 drive shafts that go into the coupler, with the ball gear all perfect with the bearing. One has a brand new ball gear on it, the other ball gear 20 percent worn. Not sure how many teeth on them maybe 25.

Not sure of the year but the drives are electric and have that bar that comes out to steer.Straight six motors.

3 bolts hold the bearing retainer. Mine has 4.

Anyone want them. Useless to me.

jetfuel

Recruit

Thanks for the Ideas folks, I thought I was gonna get an email when a reply came through for this thread and I didnt see one, hence my delay. I'll research the sources given. I wasnt sure that the Outdrive was a cobra as the service manual did not stipulate it was and there are no "cobra markings" on the paperweight itself. Many thanks for the tips and the welcome here.

Mike
Oak Island NC