OMC stringer system trim

proline2

Seaman Apprentice
I have a l984 OMC stringer system with a 3.8 v-6 engine. The system has the hydraulic cylinders in the front of the engine. I need to replace the valve body but I can't find anyplace where I can get a new one. I have thought about adapting a Mercruiser power trim pump to the boat as another option. Has anybody out there tried the Mercruiser pump, and if so how well does it work? Does anybody know where I can get a replacement valve body for my trim pump?<br />Thanks

adrew

Seaman Apprentice
Re: OMC stringer system trim

try ebay, I believe I saw the trim system there recently.

proline2

Seaman Apprentice

That one wasn't the hydraulic system, and it's gone anyway. <br />Thanks

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Proline2<br />Have you tried Johnson/Evinrude dealers??

proline2

Seaman Apprentice

I tried the local dealer two years ago and he told me that none of the needed parts were listed in the parts books anymore. He couldn't get a new or used valve body or any other parts for my system. Therefore I've attempted to repair the valve body and got it working, but somewhere there is a leak which lets the trim change when under power. I also rebuilt the trim cylinders on the front of the engine, so the seals there should be very good. I just need to have a good trim pump, beit an OMC or some other make.

dpminc

Seaman Apprentice

This is a prestolite pump, and a similar valve body was found on OMC outboards(johnson/e-rude)into the late 80's. These are adaptable to the I/O application. You could try www.tcoutboard.com and see if they have a used one. I dont think the MCM pump will work well because they, at least for some time, were a high volume,low pressure setup and you need a high pressure, low volume type. If push-comes-to-shove, you could try and adapt the prestolite system found on Chryslers, Forces,early Suzuki's and some OMC outboards with tilt only. Good Luck, as these are all getting hard to find!!

proline2

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I will follow up on the outboard pump idea.

butch290

Seaman

Proline2, I have the same thing in a 5.7, and if they give me trouble, I'm planning to make new motor mounts,get rid of pump & cyl's and trim the boat with the trim tabs, my 2 cents.

proline2

Seaman Apprentice

That certainly is a possibility I hadn't thought of. I'm sure you could make it work that way, I'd just like to keep things close to original design if possible. I've thought of making a bracket to bolt the front of the engine down and just leaving it there, since that's the position I most often use when the trim works, or should I say when it did work. Same idea as what you had, just without the trim tabs.

clanton

Rear Admiral

The parts book does not show a good breakdown of pump, but pump has to have a check valve to hold cylinders in position. These check valves are usely located inside the pump/valve body, locate these check valves and repair them. Most have a small o-ring on the end of the valve.