OMC stringer flushing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonmurr

Cadet
I just drug home my 24' Crestliner with electric shift Stringer and was wondering if it is acceptable to run her on dry land with the hose hooked up to the flush port on the starboard pivot pin cover. I'm concerned that the water pump in the vertical drive be fried by this, and the factory manual I purchased doesn't specifically condone doing this. I need to pressure test the drive a verify the opertation, as it has been used infrequently the last four years.<br />Thanks.

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: OMC stringer flushing

Yes hook the hose up to the flush adaper on the cover for starboard pivot pin that is what it is there for. You can also use muffs if you want. One tip make sure to the cap back on the flush adapter or water from you water pump will run out there and at low speed it will over heat.

jonmurr

Cadet

There is no place to put muffs on this outdrive. The pickup point for the raw water pump is above the prop. The cap is missing for the flusher, thanks for pointing that out. That is one of those things that is obvious, but easily missed.<br />Thanks

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Jon<br />The cap for the outdrive is just a standard hose end cap can get at most any home depot, or hardware store. The actual one that should be there has a 4 inch chain with a swivel so when you take it off just hangs there until ready to put back on. <br /><br />I do not understand "There is no place to put muffs for this outdrive". Yes the water pickup is above the prop shaft and below the cavitation plate. Just slide the muff over the holes from front side.<br /><br />This is a stringer outdrive, Correct?

jonmurr

Cadet

Ow, I got it, slip them on horizontally. The other side of the muff will just sit above the anti-ventilation plate. Still getting used to the new world of OMC after years of Mercrusier Is. I'll have to get a cap and chain soon.<br />Thanks<br />Jon

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Jon<br />My 1980 stringer you can just slide the muff on from the front. Both sides will be below the anti ventilation plate. My unit is not a electric shifr so maybe yours is different than mine. While you are picking up your cap also get a double female hose swivel so you can hook up your hose and flush from adapter.

jonmurr

Cadet

Really old Model 14 electric shift has no raw water intake in the lower unit. there is a little grate directly above the prop that leads to a little tube that sticks directly into the water pump housing. Your later cable shift unit does indeed have the little gill openings like more common sterndrives that are more applicable to muffs. My main concern was if enough water would get to the raw water impeller, flushing from the starboard pivot cap,to keep it from burning up while running.<br />Thanks<br />Jon

jmeydenbauer

Seaman Apprentice

Jon, you're not crazy ... I have the same drive. There isn't a way to put muffs on it. I use the hose connection at the pivot point.

omahalyons

Recruit

Jon<br />The cap for the outdrive is just a standard hose end cap can get at most any home depot, or hardware store. The actual one that should be there has a 4 inch chain with a swivel so when you take it off just hangs there until ready to put back on. <br /><br />I do not understand "There is no place to put muffs for this outdrive". Yes the water pickup is above the prop shaft and below the cavitation plate. Just slide the muff over the holes from front side.<br /><br />This is a stringer outdrive, Correct?
Does anyone know the fitting size that screws into the plate that you can attach the hose to mine is totally missing has hole and cap

Status
Not open for further replies.