OMC Stringer 800 trim

Hey guys,

I have an 85 Chris Craft powered by a GM 3.8 and an OMC 800 Stringer. Last week I noticed a small trim issue in that the trim kept settling down after I'd adjust it while under way. I checked the fluid level, it was a bit low so I topped it off and all was well.

I took the boat out today and while at a slow speed, 15 or so MPH, I bumped a submerged log. I immediately stopped, powered off and pulled up the tilt to check the skeg and prop. No visible damage at all, not even paint scratches. Once I got under way again, I felt an obvious bump once I gave throttle beyond idle. Idled perfectly and ran fine once on plane, just that single bump under initial acceleration. I noticed the trim gauge bouncing all around though, and the trim didn't seem to be working. I turned right around and drove it slowly back to the trailer about a quarter mile away.

Once on dry land I noticed the problem. I can physically move the outdrive and engine up and down two or so inches by lifting or pushing on the skeg. It appears that the engine mount tilt cylinders have blown out. The engine and drive move up and down fairly easily by hand. The cylinders seals were likely already leaking, and the impact probably blew them out alltogether.

My question is, where do I get parts? Also being that they move up and down so easily, do they likely need replacing as opposed to rebuilding? Anyone else have experience here? I found a complete used setup on ebay for a 3.8 GM in the $500 ballpark. Is this nuts or should I go for it?

Thanks in advance for all your help.