OMC Stringer 800 Slip???

Hello I am new to this forum but so far found some very helpful things. I have a Stringer 800 on a 1985 5.0L 302. I bought the boat and the person I got this from said that the boat comes out of gear when you really put the gas on and to adjust the lower unit up one or down one tooth, so I did. I took it on the lake and it still came out of gear and then drops back in gear, and it sounds like I am hitting a 2X4 in the water. I took to a mech and he said that the forward gear and clutch dog were rounded. What do ya'll think or do you have any suggestions ? Thank you for your input.
Mark:confused:

flabum

Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC Stringer 800 Slip???

It could be a mis-adjusted cable or a rounded clutch dog as the mechanic said.

KaGee

Admiral

I took it on the lake and it still came out of gear and then drops back in gear, and it sounds like I am hitting a 2X4 in the water. I took to a mech and he said that the forward gear and clutch dog were rounded. What do ya'll think or do you have any suggestions ?

I'd say he was most likely correct. Metal shavings on the lower unit drain plug will offer up the evidence.

After that is fixed, get a manual and go back and re-adjust the shift adapter properly. In addition, make sure the engine neutral idle is around 650 RPM. Shifting at high RPMs rounds off the clutch dog leading to your problem.

In the lower unit there is a rod that has about 6 teeth on it under a 6 bolt cover yopu can adjust where the gears line up I moved it to the next to last tooth from the middle tooth. He said this was the part that needs to be adjusted. There where very little metal shavings in the oil when I checked the oil. I did have the tilt up a little should I have tried it completely down? The ball gear seems to be in good shape. Thank you all for your help. It ideals at a good RPM's it does make a little grinding noise when you shift but nothing I would say is excessive.

KaGee

Admiral

Ummm, that's news to me. The centering of the shift cable is done at the shift adapter box.

Bondo

Staff member

I did have the tilt up a little should I have tried it completely down? The ball gear seems to be in good shape.

Ayuh,.....

If you run it tilted up, At All,.......
Those ball gears will be Junk in a few hours..........

whywhyzed

Banned

The manual does actually show how to install/adjust the rack and pinion sort of cable adapter in the lower housing, but it's not something one would adjust one way or the other to address a slipping dog clutch problem. As mentioned, the only adjustment after assembly is at the shift converter.