OMC Stringer 3.0 to OMC Stringer 3.8 swap question

ravej50

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1985 3.0L OMC Stringer that I would like to swap out with a 1985 OMC 3.8L from a donor boat. (since it's too cost prohibitive to redo my entire transom and buy a mercruiser engine and outdrive).. I've been told that I had to keep the 3.0L bell housing however, what confuses me is why would I have to keep the 3.0L bell housing? I've already taken the outdrive off of both boats (I'll be cleaning and rebuilding those). Wouldn't I be able to lift the entire engine out of the donor boat (with bell house attached) and just place it into my boat? (of course making sure the engine aligns correctly on the stringers and etc..) I've disconnected all the wires, fuel hoses and anything else that's been attached to the entire engine(s). Any tips and advice would help. Thanks!

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: OMC Stringer 3.0 to OMC Stringer 3.8 swap question

Wouldn't I be able to lift the entire engine out of the donor boat (with bell house attached) and just place it into my boat? (of course making sure the engine aligns correctly on the stringers and etc..)

That is exactly what you want to do.

You actually do need to use the bellhousing and intermediate from the 3.8 V6, because your 3.0 bellhousing will only have a water shutter in the port side exhaust passage. (yep, OMC saved a whole $6 retail worth of shutter on the 4 cylinder setups... that rubber cap on the 3.0 intermediate exh tube starboard side has no shutter under it)
The V6 requires a shutter in both sides.

Should be a very straightforward swap.

In fact this step probably wasn't really necessary:
I've disconnected all the wires

The big blue OMC plug on your boat should plug right in to the mating receptacle harness on the 3.8.
I can't see that you would have to unhook any wiring on either engine or boat.

ravej50

Seaman Apprentice

Actually, I disconnected the wire plug and steering cable, shift cable. I didn't disconnect ALL the wires :D

J. Mark

Petty Officer 1st Class

Progress update?

ravej50

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Jeff,

Swap went well...however, been away for awhile. Not in town for long again, but may have to replace the engine harness. Issue, is, I can't find a existing engine wire harness. I'm trying to figure out if i can just make one myself..think that's a good idea?