OMC stern drive

Nicco

Cadet
Hello, I recently purchased a 18'1984 Marlin ski boat. The motor is a 3.8 liter 6 cylinder, with an OMC V-6 sterndrive. The previous owner told me explisitly to not raise the sterndrive to full upright possition. He said that it would come off the teeth and jam, and I would have to pay $1000.00 to have it fixed. Can someone please tell me if this is true, and if it is what if anything can be done to eliminate this problem. your help will much appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks.

Tracy Coleman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: OMC stern drive

Nicco<br />The problem is with the "ball gears". Looking at the top of the outdrive, look down to see two interlocking ball gears. These do the work of u-joints, but not as well. The end of the gears were round when new, my guess yours are half gone or worse. The ex-owner probably has replaced these several times before. The ball gear kit is around $300 plus labor. These parts are available from the new OMC owners, Bombardier, and outside venders. But Bombardier has just said that they will no longer supply parts for OMC Stern Drives, when current stocks are gone, some parts share outboard useage and will be available. 1986 was the last year for the ball gears. Hope this helps.<br />Backfire ;)

Nicco

Cadet

Thanks BackFire, <br />I looked at the stern drive and I am assuming what you are talking about are the 2 Things that look like Knuckles. 1 is mounted on the hull side of the stern drive and the other is mounted on the outdrive itself. I think that these two mechanisms are what turn the prop.??? If this is the case, then by raising the tilt if I am still in gear will it wear the Ball gears quicker? I see that there is some wear on some of the "Teeth" but they seem to still be round. Is there a stop switch or relay switch that can be installed to prevent the out drive from raising all the way up. <br /><br />Thanks for the response.

BlackSmoke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

REVISED POST: Not sure if yours is like my '69, but I can't fire up until drive is all the way down, or I risk ball gear damage.

if yours is like mine was, it is a stringer drive and you have a gear on the side that moves it up and down, my teeth were wore out and if I took it up to far It would not come back down unless I took the gear off the drive lowered the drive down by hand then reinstalled the gear. p.s. I'm a wanttobe boater due to omc drive failure so be thankfull it runs!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hello, this one is almost 5 years old and I would hope he has found an answer.
And none of them have been on in almost 2 years.:D