OMC Stern Drive Trim/Tilt

Shamus

Recruit
I have a '78 searay with an OMC stern drive with a 305 and selectrim (with the worm gear on the motor) and am having two problems.<br /><br />1. The trim is not working, when trying to trim up or down, all that happens is a clicking from the motor. Are there solenoids that can go bad? or is there another cause? I have purchased a new trim motor, but don't think that is the problem and would hate to swtich motors and not cure the problem.<br /><br />2. The tilt works part time at best. It seems to work better when the batteries are fully charged, but after having the boat in the water for the weekend, it doesn't seem to want to work. As with the trim, when there is a click from the motor (different than the trim click) but the tilt motor doesn't engage. It worked after trying 5 or 6 times, but worries me.<br /><br />Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shamus

Recruit
Re: OMC Stern Drive Trim/Tilt

please ignore this, got it in the wrong forum. I reposted in i/o.<br /><br />Sorry, Newbie.

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: OMC Stern Drive Trim/Tilt

Shamus<br />I think you would get much better response in the I/O section instead of outboards.<br />For the tilt problem check and make sure the tilt clutch not full of water and grease the tilt pivots pins at the zert fittings, or better yet pull the outdrive pivots caps and clean and then grease bushing then put back on.<br /><br />For the trim Grease the jack screw and motor zert fitting.