OMC stern drive tilt and trim

Shamus

Recruit
I have a '78 searay with an OMC stern drive with a 305 and selectrim (with the worm gear on the motor) and am having two problems.<br /><br />1. The trim is not working, when trying to trim up or down, all that happens is a clicking from the motor. Are there solenoids that can go bad? or is there another cause? I have purchased a new trim motor, but don't think that is the problem and would hate to swtich motors and not cure the problem.<br /><br />2. The tilt works part time at best. It seems to work better when the batteries are fully charged, but after having the boat in the water for the weekend, it doesn't seem to want to work. As with the trim, when there is a click from the motor (different than the trim click) but the tilt motor doesn't engage. It worked after trying 5 or 6 times, but worries me.<br /><br />Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: OMC stern drive tilt and trim

Step one...remove every electrical connection (one at a time) and use plumbers cloth to clean/sand everything and re-install tight.<br /><br />Yes there are solinoids but your problem seems part time. I would try the cleaning first and then check your results.<br /><br />Remember 1978 was 25 seasons ago and things tend to corrode.<br /><br />Bob

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: OMC stern drive tilt and trim

Shamus<br />First the tilt problem. Make sure tilt clutch does not have water in it. It should have Motor oil in it not lower unit oil. I have seen your problem several times. If the battery was low this will cause it. Also if the outdrive is hard to lift. When is the last time you greased the tilt pivots pins. I would support your out drive as very heavy remove the two rubber covers over the tilt pin caps. Then remove the the two caps and tilt outdrive away from intermediate houseing far enough to get the two bushing off. Clean out old grease, salt ect. then regrease and put back together. I think you will see a big difference.<br /><br />Trim and Tilt both use solenoids if fact on the same plate on the port of engine. Most of the problems I have seen have been mechcanical. On the trim there is a big jack screw for the front motor mount that should be greased once a year by hand. also a fitting for trim motor worm gear that should be greased. Try greasing these two things and see if can turn by hand then try trim again. There are fuses, two 50 near starter on starboard side, bit I think uses same fuse for tilt and trim. Also a fuse next to tilt switch for the tilt solenoid. I think if you here click the solenoid fuse oK. Low battery can cause both problems.<br />Let us know what you find.