omc stern drive tear down

hello fellow boaters, I'm a proud new owner of a 1983 140 h.p. inline 4 cylinder and it has a omc stringer drive model # 982486 on it, I thought I was getting a good deal when I only gave 900 dollars for the boat and trailer. I'm now tring to take the drive apart and maybe rebuild the upper gearcase. My ? to you all is what is the easiest way to unhook the electric shift cable from the drive? I hope I can be out on the water sooon and not here chatting and reading this, lol and does anyone know where I could find a new (used) upperunit for mine for a cheaper price than a rebuid on it.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: omc stern drive tear down

First of all you really need to determine what you have.OMC did not have an electric shift in 83 .

well I know that there is a hose or cable that runs from the back of the motor though the hull into the upper gear drive down into the lower unit, and I can't get the upper gear box off because of that cable and the book doesn't give good detail on how to unhook it to get the gear box off, hope that helps

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Thats a mechanical shift cable.It has to be undone from inside the boat. You will need a manual and guage to put it back in correct.Can be done with out but it's easier.
I know this sounds trite but save yourself a LOT of trouble and scrap that stuff and get a Mercruiser or Volvo.It's a better outfit and WAY!!!!!! easier/cheaper to fix. Jerry

SteveDavis

Seaman

Do you have the OG manual or do you have something like a SELOC?

chiefalen

Captain

your about to undertake a long and trying journey my son.try to get your hands on a factory manual if not seloc second best thing.why are u rebuilding the outdrive?u find water in any of the 3 parts of the outdrive?if water present did u do a leak test.how long has the boat sat before u got it.read some of my previous posts on tilt problems and clean your tilt housing.post your reply alot of better minds here than mine good luck.

I didn't do any checking into it I just wanted a boat, when I bought It the guy told me the upperunit oil needed to be changed about every three times out because it would get water in the oil, well about sixth time out I was going across lake, heard a loud pop and engine died. got it back home pulled stern drive apart and I can see chunks of metal missing from the uppergear boxs gears. I have Clymer's OFFICIAL shop manual. I found rebuit units on line but for 13 hundred to 2000 dollars, would like to do it for way cheaper if possible but wondering if I just should take it to somebody to fix. but the closest tech for me is 100 miles away, I see the cable in the lower unit held on with a couple of bolts and a clamp, I take it I shouldn't remove it from there!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,......

No Disrespect Intended here,.... Just alittle Honesty.......
This isn't an OMC Bash,.. Just a Reality Check,.....

Cut your Losses......
Sell off what you have as Parts to some other Uninformed Poor Soul who bought 1 of those Lost Causes....
You might well make back the $900. that you're out right now,...
Especially if you part it out, Piece by Piece, on ebay or some other Wide market for Used Obsolete parts......
Unfortunately,.... That's what you've Got.....

Sorry Man,..... Junk it,+ buy a Mercruiser.... All but the 470s are still Servicable........(or the ole Renaults)
And,... They're Cheap as Dirt if you keep your nose to the ground.....

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

I have Clymer's OFFICIAL shop manual.
Some more advice...
Clymers "OFFICIAL" shop manual is about as helpful as a Paris phone book for working on your (or any other) drive.

To be of any value the manuals have to be the Merc, Volvo, or OMC...

crazyinkc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did the ball gears go? They are the funny looking gears you can see on the outside of the upper unit. They are about $150 for a kit.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I know this sounds trite but save yourself a LOT of trouble and scrap that stuff and get a Mercruiser or Volvo.It's a better outfit and WAY!!!!!! easier/cheaper to fix. Jerry

You're not going to be able to do that very easily either..... unless you want to replace the entire transom.

Take Bondo's advice and part the whole mess out....Boat included. You could find yourself another Stringer but you'll get to the point where the amount of money you spend could be far better spent getting something that's still made and supported.

A LOT of us have made similar mistakes (read my signature).....learn from our mistakes and cut your losses now.

Sorry,

Rick

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What you have is a bottomless money pit. Get rid of it. A buddy of mine owns one. He just spent 1300 on parts. Took it out 1 time, water pump failed, engine overheated so now he's facing another teardown unless he wises up. See a pattern here?

Ol'Jim

Recruit

Does all of the above sage advice regarding disposition of this unit, apply to all OMC sterndrives, or just the stringer?
Thanks!
-Jim.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Ol'Jim said:
Does all of the above sage advice regarding disposition of this unit, apply to all OMC sterndrives, or just the stringer?
Thanks!
-Jim.

Personally I'd say it involves all OMC... but the stringers were aweful from the start.

ask yourself this question.......

1. Would you buy a car from a manufactorer who hasn't been in business in 13years?

Then why would you buy a boat????????

Unless your THAT guy that thinks driving around in a yugo is cool :)