OMC stern Drive removal

dguess

Seaman Apprentice
I have posted some questions on here and was wondering if someone may be willing to walk me through this adventure.
I have a 1985 Galaxy 18' 3.8L OMC , motor locked up was told to remove the stern drive I have followed the Selco book so far but I am just not 100% sure of everything so far. I have also downloaded from the adults only section.

I have the lower unit loose but I am having trouble getting the shift lead cable thru the boot and the intermediate housing. After I do get that out I think I need to remove the upper gear case? Or can I just remove the intermediate housing?
Thanks in advance, I need a little explaining to understand why and how things need to be done so please be patient.

Thanks again,

Dan

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: OMC stern Drive removal

To check to see if the engine will turn you don't have to do any of that.

Just undo the trunnion caps and pull the outdrive back enough (2 or 3 inches) to disengage the ball gears. Have someone hold it there and try cranking the engine.

dguess

Seaman Apprentice

where are the trunnion caps located. I can not find them in my book.

dguess

Seaman Apprentice

just to clarify... I did find this in the book but it says Stern drive removal on 1978 and later models..... I am not sure if this will work on mine sense it is an 1985...Can some one verify this please...

I assume you have a stringer. If so, loosen the pivot cap cover screws on each side of the intermediate housing. Remove the cover and plate from the pivot caps. Tilt the unit just enough to disengage the the upper gearcase guide pins from the intermediate. Loosen and remove the pivot caps. You probably want someone else hold the unit while you remove them. After that, you should be able to pull the stern drive straight back slowly. It might help to slightly grease the shift cable. Good luck.

dguess

Seaman Apprentice

yes it looks like the drawing

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

omc3.gif

#14, there on each side, remove the 2 bolts, remove caps ,carefully slide drive back and away from the ball gears and safely support the drive from falling .

BLDFW

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just pulled my outdrive off about a week ago. Pulling the cables assumes you have them disconnected inside the engine compartment already. It helps to have an extra set of hands but if not, make sure the wires are seperated from each other (they're usually bound together like a regular power cord). Seperate them just enough to allow you to pull each wire through the transom hole individually one at a time. If you try to pull the cable through without seperating the wires, it's possible the wire tip plugs might get caught on each other going through the hole and get hung up.

Then I pulled the items 22, 47, 41 (water passage covers) off first and then pull the pivot cover caps (#14) off. DO NOT MIX the covers and components as they MUST go back on on the same side they came off of.

With help, I was able to back the outdrive away from the intermin housing pretty easily. It took all of about 5mins.

Good luck!

dguess

Seaman Apprentice

Ok I have pulled the stern drive off and I need some direction..... The ball gear still does not turn on the intermediate housing and it wiil not turn on the stern drive (upper gear case)....

1) Should I remove the intermediate housing from the motor next?
2) Should I remove the ball gear from the intermediate housing?

If I go with 2 I am not sure that will tell me much I still can not get the motor to turn over.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The ball gear on the intermediate housing is directly connected to the engine so don't count on turning that one by hand.

dguess

Seaman Apprentice

so I am thinking I need to remove the intermediate housing then is there anything special I need to know about doing that?
What about the boot on the transom Can I re-use that or will i need to get a new one?
I still have not been able to get the shift cable loose, it seems real tight and the book says not to pull to hard.... I have put vasiline on the cable but still hard to pull and afraid to pull to hard.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

NO...you should now see if your engine is locked up. See if you can turn it.

dguess

Seaman Apprentice

Tryed to turn it but no go. What is your opinion? motor locked up or stern drive locked?

Just to recap the motor was running fine then shut down with a clunk. then was towed in started motor again ran fine all gauges looked good ran for 20 min. then went back out ran about 10 min big clunk motor died have not been able to turn motor was told by several people to pull stern drive! Done that need to know what next? I feel like I can do most of the work I just need someone to help direct me who knows, has more experience than I do I have downloaded the info from the adults section and I have a Clyer? book. Just need some one to stick with me and teach me what to do.......

thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Turned the engine with the starter or a breaker bar at the crank?

If you did those two things then your engine is seized and need to go to the next step and pull the engine.

dguess

Seaman Apprentice

Well that is oppiste of what I have been told. I understand the motor will not turn but I have also been told that the intermediate housing could still be the problem.. IE the ball gear or the shaft between the ball gear and the bell housing? the fly wheel could also be a problem just from the auto side of thinking?

What is the best direction to head to know?????????

thanks

xltier

Chief Petty Officer

Well that is oppiste of what I have been told. I understand the motor will not turn but I have also been told that the intermediate housing could still be the problem.. IE the ball gear or the shaft between the ball gear and the bell housing? the fly wheel could also be a problem just from the auto side of thinking?

What is the best direction to head to know?????????

thanks
separate the motor and intermediate shaft and see which one turns and which one dont.

dguess

Seaman Apprentice

thats kinda what I was thinking I will start that first thing in the morning Its geating dark hear now...... Thanks I am sure there will be more tomorrow thanks to all that have helped

dguess

Seaman Apprentice

well the upper gear case is locked up.....I cant get the ball gear to turn or to come out......the worm gear is ok but there was water in along with oil....I know water is bad, oil is good.....

I am in search of another gear case I was told that would be easeir than trying to rebuild the one I have.

Any thoughts???