omc stern drive installation

t krug

Recruit
have removed my stern drive ( 1989 OMC Cobra) to grease the u-joints and it will not reinstall into the splines. The shaft will go as far as the splines, but it seems to not be alinged. I know there is an alignment shaft and a dealer said he would use this to adjust the engine on the mounts , but I don't want to bring the boat from the lake if I don't have to. Is there any method to check the alignment other than by eye and and adjusting the engine on the mounts.

DJP

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: omc stern drive installation

Shear detemination is gonna resolve that problem without the alignment tool. I've done many a Mercruiser Sterndrive W/O the "alignnmet tool", and have not suffered any ill effects. Of course these were all on my boats, I wouldn't take that chance on someone elses however.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just had a similar experience with my '87 OMC.<br /><br />It took about a half hour and many curses to get the sterndrive aligned. Even then it did not go on easily. Had to barely get a stud to show through and then get a nut on it and start tightening. Used the studs to pull the drive further onto the mount.

BigBabyLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Had the very same problem just two months ago. Replaced the gimbal bearing and could not get the O/D on.<br />To align the splines, push the O/D as far in as it will go, then stick a large screwdriver through the U-joints and try turning slowly while pushing on the O/D.<br />Once you get the splines lined up and the O/D is on push it as far in as possible again. If it stops an inch or so from the pivot housing, it might be the gimbal bearing not allowing the shaft to seat all the way. I used a winch strap to force it in. Just attach it to the pivot ring and keep tightening until you can put nuts on the studs.<br /><br />Hope this helps.<br />Lou