OMC- steering -sister's-important

roj

Cadet
My sis-in-law wants to use her boat that was left by her recently deceased husband. This is the info that she got to me. I'm driving out to her place on Monday to help and would really like some input. I won't have access to further info about the boat until Monday and won't be able to get back out till the following week so I'll print out all responses to check/try etc. Thanks- it's important for a myriad of personal-emotional reasons ie... his boat-his lake etc. I've done a history check as well<br /><br />"the steering is frozen. It has cables that connect to the motor. They are encased in a cover... 2 cables go into the left side of the motor if you are looking at it from the boat. There is a rod that connects on the other side <br />of the boat that is moved by the cables. It is frozen solid. You can only turn the steering wheel just so far. The guy at the marina smacked the rod with a hammer while i held on the steering wheel but it wouldn't budge. I <br />sprayed it with WD40, it didn't help. Johnson 75 horse Stinger, not sure on year, think it is probably 1978, same as the boat."

NathanY

Commander
Re: OMC- steering -sister's-important

If your saying the the steering cable is froze in the steering tube, then you will have to beat it out. Sometimes you can use heat, like a Bernz-matic torch to expand the metal and smack it with a hammer and get it out.<br /><br />Once you get it out, then just measure it, and replace it.<br /><br />Be careful not to hit it too hard to mushroom the end of it, then you will have problems. <br /><br />Do a search about frozen steering, it has lots-o-replies. <br /><br />Hope this helps.

roj

Cadet

I've researched the history and have some ideas.<br /><br />I'm wodering if her johnson 70 is set similar to my 75 rude 115. Sounds like it and I can get a better Idea by toying with mine befor I make the trip.<br /><br />Thanks.

NathanY

Commander

I dont think that yours has the steering tube that goes through the transom bracket does it? If it does then it should be the same, but if it has the older style transom clamp, it probably wont be the same. Im not really sure what year they changed that, but my old 74 model 85hp had the older clamp style.

roj

Cadet

If I'm seeing it right- mine goes through the transom bracket. Thanks