omc select trim

PropNut

Cadet
I was needing some information in regards to installing an omc select trim on my boat. i have a 1985 omc 3.0 ltr 140 hp with the stringer 400. it currently has the "jack" screw on the front enging mount which adjusted the preselect trim. the trim system will go on the front engine mount and actually tilt the entire engine/outdrive to achieve trim. my questions are is it difficult to install and how do I find one? any info would be apprectiated.

adrew

Seaman Apprentice
Re: omc select trim

i have the same problem, same year/engine /outdrive. hey wait, he's got my boat. just kiddin, thanx for any help.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I have never replaced one but do have the select trim on my motor. You will have to buy motor and mount it below motor mount. also wireing to trim switch, mine is on shift lever. Should be able to get parts from Johnson and Evinrude dealers.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Select trim was not a big item on the small OMC packages,but it did exist.Conversion[if you can scare it up ] might involve some bilge modifcations to accomodate the motor.

adrew

Seaman Apprentice

I found a source that has 2 or 3 "good used" omc select trim for the 400 stringer. The cost is about 200. plus shipping. Add a post if interested.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

I've seen one or two units on Ebay recently. Just using an OMC search. I think you'll have to replace your front mount and add a couple solenoids but it shouldn't be that hard.<br /><br />Mine already has it.

adrew

Seaman Apprentice

Hello PN, As mr. washer said, they are available on e bay...just have to look for them. I got mine there sold by ejb marine in orlando. www.boatpartsused.com phone 866-447-boat. I paid quite a bit less than $200. which is what he normally sells them for. You only need the base with motor as the upper engine attachment is the same as the fixed trim. (I now have an extra one). And yes, you will also need the two solenoids. A bilge modification was needed but nothing major. Then run 3 wires to a switch and trim gauge on the dashboard. Wiring diagram is in the seloc manual. It works well and best of all I now have another "toy" to play with.