OMC Sea Drive

BrittanyJim

Recruit
I am considering purchasing a 1983 Holiday Mansion Houseboat with twin 6 cylinder OMC Sea Drives. Of all the boats I've found, this is the only one with outboard motors istead of I/O's. I like the idea that the motors are mounted on a remote transom. The seller says the motors have very few hours on them (less than 400 hours) and run great. I'm just wondering about the reliability and serviceability of these motors and do they adversely affect resale value due to being so rare (at least on the houseboats I've looked at). Any insights are appreciated.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: OMC Sea Drive

Hi, Jim.<br /><br />Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />I'm going to move this to General Outboard Topics.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Jim - I have a pair of 1987 1.6 L SeaDrives & had em for 10 years. I have had both powerheads rebuilt (one was frozen when I bought it & the other had nothing to do with the SeaDrive). No problems with the SeaDrives.<br /><br />If you get the rig I recommend that you get the OMC service manual & parts manual. The SeaDrives are complex should you ever need to work on them. The powerheads are the same.<br /><br />Beware of what the seller says. Have the motors checked out yourself. Make sure that you take it for a test run. There are not many twin V6s on houseboats.

BrittanyJim

Recruit

Thanks SoLittle. I'll take your advice and have the motors checked when I get the survey done if I decide to go with this boat and definitely only after a test run. I have been told, at least, that parts are readily available.