OMC question

ravej50

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,

New to boating..I have a 1985 Winner boat with a OMC 3.0L engine. I'm fairly new to boating and after reading a lot of posts here, found out that marine engines are not the same as car engines. The questions I have are exactly what type of OMC engine do I have? Also, since OMC's parts seem to be rare and few, how hard would it be to swap the OMC to a mercruiser 3.0L? Would I have to cut into the transom? what else would I have to do? I did search the forums for "OMC to Mercruiser" swap but nothing came up. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_7546.JPG
    IMG_7546.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7548.JPG
    IMG_7548.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7550.JPG
    IMG_7550.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7551.JPG
    IMG_7551.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 0

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC question

Howdy,

It appears that you have a "stringer" drive. (the engine is GM industrial)

Yes you can put a Mercruiser in there (you can do anything you want with enough time & money)

You would have to do some rather extensive transom work to basically "fill" in the hole and recut for the Mercruiser.

Not worth it unless you have some emotional attachment to the boat.

Regards,

Rick

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does the engine run OK? Does the drive work, or do you have some real problems? There are a lot of sites where obsolete parts are laying around in warehouses. I have a 92 3.0 HO Cobra and have had people tell me some parts were no longer available but have found anything I need with a little online searching. I wouldn't be too quick to junk what you have unless it needs a lot of work and parts. You can get more GOOD help than you can use on this site, just ask.

ravej50

Seaman Apprentice

Swapping to a mercruiser is actually something I'm debating. Just reading post after post of "run away quickly from OMC engines" got me in a little downer. I'm trying to find a mechanic who knows how to work on OMC engines (in nashville) but have yet to find one. I do know it does need a lot of work since it's been sitting in a driveway for 2 years without running. I'm not afraid to redo my transom (I did my floors already)..but I'm trying to debate between doing a swap so parts\mechanics to do repairs are easily available or just keeping the OMC and hack it myself.

studdy05

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you can tinker, you will fall in love with the OMC stringer. While it does have a few short comings, they can be overcome and its stregths are plenty.

No Mercruiser on the planet can turn like those beasts can.

This site has tons on fixing the stringers just get you a manual and get familiar with what you have.

I am in Little Rock and we dont have people to work on them here either, but the knowledge to fix them and the parts are there.

What is wrong with the outdrive? Be specific in telling what you can.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I'm trying to find a mechanic who knows how to work on OMC engines (in nashville) but have yet to find one.

A 1985 OMC 3.0L and a 1985 Mercruiser 3.0L are the exact same engine.

It's the outdrive system that is different between the 2 manufacturers

ravej50

Seaman Apprentice

"A 1985 OMC 3.0L and a 1985 Mercruiser 3.0L are the exact same engine."

Thats' a very interesting fact to know. Now I can take it to a marine mechanic and I know he won't jack up the price just because it's a OMC engine.

So far, the things that need to be replaced on the outdrive that i've seen are:
1. Transom Rubber seal
2. Prop.

On the engine itself:
1. starter

(that's as far as I've gotten with tinkering with the engine and out drive).

The next step is to buy a manual and start tinkering.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Replacing the big rubber boot you can do yourself with a little research.
The starter and prop are easy.

Welcome to Iboats! The folks here are ready to help you through it...:D

ravej50

Seaman Apprentice

Replacing the big rubber boot you can do yourself with a little research.
The starter and prop are easy.

Welcome to Iboats! The folks here are ready to help you through it...:D

Thanks Gary. I figured the starter and prop would be easy....I just need to make a list of things that need to be replaced. I'll update this post when I find out what else needs to be done. Thanks a lot!