OMC Part Number Mystery lower unit 388823

adam12

Cadet
Rebuilt my motor over the winter and through a strange chain of events and a bit too much ebay'ing...I ended up with a bunch of marine pars including a never been used OMC lower unit with a part number tag on it 388823.<br /><br />I'd like to find it a new home - can anyone tell me the year/model applications for this unit?? Pleas include all motors that it will bolt up too, even if the gear ratio is slightly off..<br /><br />Tahnks!!

alcan

Commander
Re: OMC Part Number Mystery lower unit 388823

About all I can tell you is that you have a OMC part# for a gearcase assembly complete. The part# you give supercedes four times. From the 1993 retail price I can tell you this is for a larger motor. If I had a parts catolog for a 1985 140hp V4 and a model# (I don't) I could tell you if this gearcase would fit or not. With just a part# alone it is almost impossible to say what a will or will not fit. To find out how many models and years a part will fit you need that many part catologs. A lot of L/Us look basicly the same and may even bolt up. But there are a few very important differances. Shaft length, gear ratio (as you note), rotation,etc. This is why I kind of shudder a little with guys buying off this ebay. The seller don't know nothing, the buyer don't know nothing, it's sort of the blind leading the blind and no one is responsable. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with scrounging used parts. You just need to be in the know.

adam12

Cadet

thanks-<br /><br />I seem to recall once seeing an OMC book that took many part numbers back through all of the supercesions (??)<br /><br />I have a hint it may be from earlier than '85..<br /><br />Anyone?<br /><br />Thanks again..

alcan

Commander

Hi Adam<br />Yes it is called the master parts Price book. You look up a part#, lets say 333333 and it will say use part#444444. you look up that # and it says use #555555. When you get to #555555 it will usually list all previous part#s. This has no bearing on the price of rice in china. It still won't tell you where the part goes. It merely states whether the part is still available, the retail cost, and the movement of the part (how often it gets orderd).

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

A 388823 superceeds to 433572 which fits a 1988 20" 35, 40, 48 and 50 hp. <br /><br />Lets hope the tag goes with that unit.<br /><br />Good luck!

adam12

Cadet

thanks<br /><br />So, does that mean;<br /><br />If you needed the later 433572 you could use an earlier 388823??<br /><br />Or, only the other way around??

alcan

Commander

Hi Adam<br />All that means is the part# was changed. Why? Maybe there was an improvement to the part, different paint, what ever. The bottom line is the part will fit.