OMC Paint

steamin53

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I need a source for OMC Gold paint as used in mid 70's Evinrude and Johnson motors. Anyone know of one?

Steve

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: OMC Paint

Sorry to say really tough to find. Many of the rattle can companies have gotten away from the real older colors.

I checked the Tempo site http://www.tempoproducts.com w/no luck.

I would go to an automotive paint store and have them mix a color match in a two part or single stage urethane

lindy46

Captain

I've found some on Ebay and many Johnnyrude dealers can order it for you.

D

DJ

I've had difficulties with some of the old N.O.S. (new old stock) OMC rattle cans. A lot of clogging issues and some "dead" cans. No pressure.:(

If you can find one, you can at least get the exact color and as stated, auto paint stores can match it for you. We have one here, locally, that will even put it in a rattle can for you!

lindy46

Captain

The problem I've had with paint matching is, they have to take a picture of a 3"x3" area, and if all you have is the old faded paint to go by, that is what you'll get. Even if you can find a spot on the underside that's not faded, in my experience, the match is not exact. I've had good luck though with the paint they mixed and aerosolized for me. Worked as well as factory rattle cans.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

OMC used to sell a gold aerosol spray paint under part number 771251, for engines 1973-1975. Any dealer can check that and see if it is still made and what the latest part number is.

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class

i just bought a can on ebay, i think it was the last one though. contact this seller: nuway57

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

Just an FYI, the gold paint was not the same between Johnsons & Evinrudes and also they differed over the years. Just for reference I am posting an exerpt from a 1974 OMC Accessories brochure I have had since 1974. Its too bad you can't just pop out to the local dealer and get it off the shelf any more.

Attachments

• OMC_paint_chart_circa_1974.jpg
    OMC_paint_chart_circa_1974.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 2

steamin53

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Great help men. I've found it now that I have the part number.

Steve

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The Johnson gold paint was listed as 0771251; The Evinrude gold was listed as 0771252.

steamin53

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good news for any looking for the Evinrude gold paint. Bombardier provided this info and I ordered it online. I'm not certain of the exact match as I've not applied it yet but here's the data.

Evinrude Gold Paint

Original PN 172953 ES 1624

Supercedes to 771249 in spray can.

Quart not available.

dwhall427

Recruit

Just an FYI, the gold paint was not the same between Johnsons & Evinrudes and also they differed over the years. Just for reference I am posting an exerpt from a 1974 OMC Accessories brochure I have had since 1974. Its too bad you can't just pop out to the local dealer and get it off the shelf any more.

I looked at the 1974 OMC chart attached to your post. I do not recognize the part number as OMC numbers. What are they? Thanks! Doug

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Shoot, I would go to nymarine.ca and order the color you need. It may be 20 bucks a can, but it's a perfect match and guaranteed fresh.