OMC Outdrive removal instructions?

johnbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,

I've ordered a service manual for my buddies 1991 OMC Cobra, but it will take a couple of days to arrive. I'd really like to get started on the removal process. Can someone point me at an article or a message or a website that describes the process?

I've pulled my Volvo/OMC SX drive using my V/P service manuals. I'll have a copy of the applicable Seloc manual (not my favorite), but I'd like to know a bit more.

The bit that I'm the most worried about is the handling of the shift linkage. On my Volvo, this was no problem. But, I know that the OMC is somewhat more complex or at least has a couple of gotcha's.

I tried searching, but as others have noted, some tuning of the search system will be needed...

Thanks in advance,

johnbo

lrlima

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: OMC Outdrive removal instructions?

For my Cobra (1993) I just put it in nuetral, removed the trim rams, and then removed the six bolts holding the drive. If you have help (or a strong back), it should be pretty straight forward. The shift linkage did not get in the way when removing.

johnbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Irlima,

Thanks for the pointer. This doesn't sound too bad.

Later,

johnbo

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

the linkage isn`t the problem. accidently dropping the drive on to the linkage causes the brass sleeve on the cable to break.the shift slide/arm should not be able to move up ,down, or sideways.pull the drive straight back untill the linkage is clear.

johnbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Bt Doctur,

Thanks for the help. Sounds like a painful learning experience. I used the same 2x4 contraption to slide the outdrive off that I used for my Volvo SX. The main reason was so that I could do it by myself.

Thanks for the warning.

johnbo