OMC Outdrive Grease

bigD1031

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 93 OMC 302 with the cobra outdrive, have a question about greasing everything.....forgive me since I have been out of boating for a bit and have only had the boat a couple of months........

What kind of grease should I use when it comes to greasing all of the fittings? I remember something vaguelly about red grease and not using it? Is that right? Any recommendations on type? Book says to use OMC specific grease but I don't think they even make that stuff anymore......

Thanks in advance,

D

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Outdrive Grease

The drive shaft splines take OMC/Bombardier triple guard grease, the gimble +Ujoints, any good marine wheel bearing grease. Prop shaft, steering ram get triple guard, power steering actuator grease fitting gets marine wheel bearing grease.

VIPcole

Seaman

I think you are referring to triple guard grease, I have seen it under the evinrude name now.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I think you are referring to triple guard grease, I have seen it under the evinrude name now.

Yep that's the stuff, it's blue water proof grease that holds up even in salt water.

bigD1031

Seaman Apprentice

Are all the points that get the marine bearing grease the ones with the zerks? Or can you get to all those listed with a grease gun? And will it hurt if I use different brands......ie if it has omc brand grease in it and I pick up the stuff from wal mart......which i heard is not bad stuff?

VIPcole

Seaman

If there is a zerk it needs grease, I know some try to stay with the same brand but like one of the guys signature here "any grease is better then no grease.":D

On my Cobra outdrive I know of only one zerk. but the boat is still new to me.

Coors

Captain

Marine grease on boat and trailer; johnyrude triple still available, that is good for trim cylinders, p/s cylinder rams that are exposed. Smear a film on them.

bigD1031

Seaman Apprentice

I only know of one fitting on my outdrive too, I bought a seloc manual before I learned they aren't really worth the paper they are printed on imho. Any others know of more that may be hidding.

And putting grease on the rams seams like a good idea, will have to do that too.

Coors

Captain

OMC, behind the engine, mounted on the stern, is a grease fitting for the steering.
It will be a 2 person job to lube it, as it probably hasn't been lubed since it left the factory, and the grease in there is caked up.
One person in contortion position, using both hands to hold end of gun on the fitting; one to pump the gun.
After you get all that old crap squeezed out, then contortion again to clean it out of the bilge.

bigD1031

Seaman Apprentice

^^^^^^Ahhh, the joys of owning an i/o once again!!!