OMC Out Board Controls - What are these ???

97MACHZ

Seaman Apprentice
I have a set of 1989 OMC controls hooked up to a 1989 Evinrude 120 HP out board. There is a fast idle lever on top, a deadman/safety kill switch on the side and keyed ignition switch at the back. My questions are these:<br />1. Below the keyed ignition switch is a black dial type switch (about one inch in diameter), which can be turned clockwise or counter-clockwise. What does this switch/dial do or control?<br />2. Below the above mentioned switch/dial is a 'black rubber plug' with two wires coming out (red and white I think). What is this device? Could it be the ignition beeper/siren?<br /><br />I was looking through the manual that I have for a picture with an explanation but the closest I could find was a wiring diagram which did not clear things up. Any ideas would definitely be appreciated.<br />Cheers<br />Mike

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: OMC Out Board Controls - What are these ???

The black knob will increase, or decrease throttle lever friction. The rubber plug is for a tach. connection.

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer

Mike, That black knob i believe controls the friction on the cable to keep the lever from backing off, notice how your speed lever has friction, the other black rubber plug is for your warning horn !

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry, about the info on the rubber plug , i would go with Mr. R Johnson on that one, he knows more then me !

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah. On mine (1980) the tension thing doesn't really do much, but the tach connection works.<br /><br />The warning buzzer is in the control box.

97MACHZ

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys, I tried dialing it in until it was tight, but it didn't seem t oadd friction or drag to the movement of the trottle. Maybe mine doesn't work. My warning buzzer is mounted on the side of the control box with the throttle / shift lever. I find it amazing at how little information there is in the Seloc and Clymer manuals about this stuff. I'm sure there are more boat owners than just me who are interested in this stuff.<br />Cheers<br />Mike

steamboatwilly

Petty Officer 1st Class

My friction lever wouldnt have much effect.

phantoms

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by 97MACHZ:<br /> 2. Below the above mentioned switch/dial is a 'black rubber plug' with two wires coming out (red and white I think). What is this device? Could it be the ignition beeper/siren?
That's a 3-pin tach connection. Should be purple (12+), Black (ground) and gray (tach signal). This doesn't mean that someone didn't use the pins for something else. <br /><br />97MACHZ, if you want a scan of the 89 control schematic, give me an e-mail address to send it to.