OMC or mercruiser

rwjacobs

Seaman Apprentice
SO, which one is the best? I have had mercruiser, but heard a lot of good things about the OMC (is that Volvo?)<br />Also, when did they come out with the duo-prop. Is that a good alternative to the bravoIII, since it has a lot of corrosion problems. Is the performance of the duo-prop a lot better than a single prop?<br /><br />I am looking for an older 23 or 24' cruiser, so I want to get the best for my money<br /><br />Thanks

D

DJ

Re: OMC or mercruiser

hans,<br /><br />OMC is no more. I understand parts a getting a little scarce for the OMC drives. The newer drives with the SX designation were actually built by Volvo.<br /><br />Volvo developed the Duoprop. The Bravo III came out later.<br /><br />I think the Volvo drive is better-personally. However, here in the US Mercruiser dealers are easier to find.

DP

Petty Officer 1st Class

I pretty well agree with dejohns19 on this.<br />As an OMC/Volvo/Mercruiser shop I can confirm that OMC I/O parts are no longer being manufactured. The Volvo drive is bullet proof and I think Mercruiser has solved their problems.<br />Look for something that parts will be available for, Volvo (or OMC by Volvo) or Merc.

Frank Martin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

omc parts have actually have improved since bombardier bought them out the parts are actually made by volvo . volvo penta makes the sx drives here in the usa at the old omc cobra plant good luck finding a good used boat . more important than what kind of drive some times is how it was tacken care of

rwjacobs

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the replies!!<br /><br />If I understand right, I can go wih OMC as long as it is the volvo OMC and not the OMC Cobra?<br /><br />Also, is there a big performance difference to the duo-prop/barvoIII compaired to a single prop?<br /><br />Thanks

6MISFITZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Duo-prop and Bravo 3 give better accleration. Cruise speed and fuel economy at cruise is better whith dual props BUT top speed has always been faster with single high performance prop drives.