OMC motor??

204Angler

Seaman
Looking at a boat with a 225 OMC ocean drive on it...I think a 95 year model. Anyone have anything bad or good about these engines? Have only heard that the bracket system is a hassel because the motor sits low but I can get around that. What about mechanically? I know parts are going to get more and more scarce because they went out of business in 98 or 99. Any suggestions, advice, jokes would be great, thanks

PS: I apologize if this post should have been in "other outboard brands" topic

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: OMC motor??

At least your not looking at a boat with a force outboard on it. You would have gone blind.:eek::D

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

BRP acquired OMC's assets ~ 2000 and produces parts and new motors, including for much older motors than you are looking at. Is this an Evinrude 225 Ocean Pro?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I thought '95 sounded a little too new for a SeaDrive.....if it really is a '95 then you don't have an issue.

204Angler

Seaman

Yeah I apologize I just realized the mistake I made when I read your post. It is a 95 ocean drive. I can't get the model number right now because the boat is still 2 hours away. The only issues I have heard/read about so far are...the non-flotation bracket may cause water to get into cowl and engine to ingest water. Parts are scarce particularly for tilt/trim since OMC is identical to E-Rude and Johnson (or are getting that way). Cooling system may not be adequate (impeller design). Then I have read that the cowl and cooling issues are-or were-only issues during the early eighties. As far as outboards go, I see plenty of 20 year old "crappy" brands still running (Force) but don't see any older Yamahas out there (popular in the southeast region). I guess if it runs good now, it is good...already being a 15 year old motor?? I appreciate the input....I will happily read and head any more advice/suggestions you all may have. I am not new to boating but have only had two boats, both with Mercurys so do not know a lot about OMC. Thanks again gents

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You really need to double check what you're describing. A picture would be even better. As far as I know there is no such thing as an "ocean drive" and there were no more Sea Drives in 1995. If the motor is indeed 1995 OMC product then it is just a standard outboard with no oddities to concern yourself about. We need some clarification.

204Angler

Seaman

ezmobee Re: OMC motor??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You really need to double check what you're describing. A picture would be even better. As far as I know there is no such thing as an "ocean drive" and there were no more Sea Drives in 1995. If the motor is indeed 1995 OMC product then it is just a standard outboard with no oddities to concern yourself about. We need some clarification.

Jeez guys I am so sorry...I'm an idiot. It is a SEA DRIVE. I have been gearing up for a deployment so have a lot on my mind....should place boats higher on the list of thoughts :)
Ok, so the gentleman that wants to trade me says it is a '95 seadrive. So, either he is incorrect with the year, or the model of motor...that is what I am gathering so far, right?
I will get a picture taken from the aft of the boat that shows the motor. It isn't a great picture because it is from his add for the boat. Standby. Thank you all for your patience

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

1991 was the last year for all Sea Drives, so something's not right.

204Angler

Seaman

Ok, so he removed the pictures...however I do know that the cowl at least said OMC and he said it was a seadrive. So, he is either incorrect about the year by FOUR years?? Or it is a regular OMC 225 ? Again...I really appreciate all your input and putting up with my mis-information.

Willyclay

Captain

First, based on your comment about deployment I believe you are member of the U.S. military, thank you for your service to our country. If not the U.S., then you are doing a great service for your country. Second, no apology is needed when you are getting the info from a third party because most of us have BTDT. Next, we are only trying to help you avoid the swamp so many used-boat buyers find themselves in after purchase: Things are not what they were represented as by the previous owner. Finally, the experts on this forum, which I am not, can answer any question you have about boats, motors and trailers in order to provide you with the information needed to make an informed decision. They have helped me more times than I can count and will be here for you also. Good luck and stay safe!

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Ok, so he removed the pictures...however I do know that the cowl at least said OMC and he said it was a seadrive. So, he is either incorrect about the year by FOUR years?? Or it is a regular OMC 225 ? Again...I really appreciate all your input and putting up with my mis-information.

As far as I know (not an expert) the SeaDrives were pretty much the only OMC branded (as opposed to Johnson/Evinrude) motors. So I'm thinking they are SeaDrives but he's way off on the year.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

I owned 2 with seadrives and a fishing friend had one also.They were first introduced in early 80's with crossflow engines ,which are good reliable engines but not as fuel efficiant as the newer looper used in later 80's to early 90's.Four and six cylinders and all were under the OMC name,opposed to evinrude or johnson we are more familiar with.Problems are,first ,there were different configurations,cable or hydraulic steering,the hydraulic used a seadrive only unit which causes problems when the ram goes bad,I found the seal that is used for outboard trim and tilt rams work,the low riding problem causes flooding of the cowl,OMC used a venturi type waterpickup from the tell tale as a means to remove water,that caused many different probklems,one being ,often the tell tals plugged and the water filled the cowl ,water that was from the pump,the fact it is low,the seawater would constantly flood the bottom of the crankshaft and driveshaft meeting areas,the crank is plain steel,therefore ,over time ,if not constantly greased,the splines in the crank rust/strip,engine will run great but wont turn driveshaft=no gears or waterpump,the trim and tilt is unique to the seadrive as wellsame prob with the steering,no parts or if found,big money,matter of fact the parts were always big money.I have seen on ebay ,dealers selling new in box old stock parts,but ,when u need it ,likely not.Should you buy one with a great running powerhead and nice lower,it wont take much to convert to a regular outboard by getting the correct midsection at a salvage yard,then putting a bracket on your hull after glassing in the couple holes that were needed for the seadrive.I did 2 boats like that and it was easy.All controls will continue to work