OMC Manifold

WaterLauger

Cadet
Got the new motor installed, bolted the exhaust manifold up and noticed there was a 3-4" crack along one of the edges of the old manifold. When should I worry about water leakage into my engine?

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC Manifold

why would you put a new engine in with a old cracked manifold? I wouldve worried about that when I had the motor out. What engine do you have?

WaterLauger

Cadet

$%^# happens. The crack was in a place I hadn't noticed. Does anyone know what to look for or how to test a manifold? When a good JB weld will work and when it won't?<br /><br />Thanks

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the proper way to test is to have it pressure tested. if it was me i'd go ahead & replace it. why risk a new engine?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

WaterLauger<br />Pressure testing is the only way. It would help if you posted the year and HP of the motor. Also how old the manifold is and if you boat in fresh water or saltwater.<br /><br />Life of the manifold and riser 4 to 6 years in saltwater. Much longer in fresh water. Remember if it goes bad water leaks back to exhaust valve and when open into the motor. Besides rust on valves and in cylinders. Can get water in oil. Also it can fill cylinder with water and when start up on the compression stroke can break pistons, bend rods and stop motor from turning. You can not compress water.

WaterLauger

Cadet

What is the best way to pressure test a manifold? Who does this type of work? Does the "Water in the cylinders" phenomenon happen much in a barrel type manifold? It would seem that the water would travel down and into to stern drive better than back and into the cylinders.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

an engine rebuilding shop can test it for u. but, i'll tell u right now, if it's cracked it's going to fail. forget jb weld. when the manifold heats up there goes the patch job. especially on a crack that big. i know that's not what u want to hear, but that's the way i see it. i bought my manifold & riser last year from ebasicpower.com. very reasonable, & free shipping fom ups. got mine in 3 days. it's up to u.

proline2

Seaman Apprentice

Just get rid of the old manifold and get on with it. You'll waste more time and money fooling around with the old one than it's worth.

WaterLauger

Cadet

Thanks a lot SeaWolf. Great idea. I've done so much work to this boat already - I'd hate to screw it up now...<br /><br />Later!