omc gear set

mickey1

Seaman Apprentice
somthing weird, im in the process of replacing the lower gears on my omc outdrive, which has been jumping out of gear momentarily when under a load. i got it apart today, the fwd and reverse gears look ok, maybe a little wear but the clutch dog on the reverse side is wasted. i have no experience on this but if you judge them on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst the fwd end is a 3 and the reverse end is a 10. im still trying to locate a gear set, but if i feel the gears are allright why couldnt i just replace the clutch dog, any thoughts, comments or suggestions will be appreciated mickey1

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: omc gear set

mickey1<br /> Are you working on an OMC Cobra?If so you probably can't purchase anything but a complete gear set.They had problems with these,and coming out of gear under load was symptom number one for replacing all gears and the dog.They even undercut the engagement surfaces 5 degrees to help the drive stay in gear.<br />DHP

mickey1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: omc gear set

dhpmarine, i think the light has finally broken through, the 5deg issue is on the clutch dog lugs, and gear lugs, that clears that up for me. thank you very much, mickey1