OMC fuel pump wired direct?

Darkhorse1201

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1992 Sunbird witha 4.3 OMC (okay heres where the OMC haters say I should've bought a Merc!) that I am having intermittent troubles with the electric fuel pump. It seems to be a wiring issue with the relay. Can I just wire the fuel pump into the system so that it comes on when the key is turned on? I realize I would have to put an oil shutoff switch in the loop but why do I need the relay and associated wiring when I can wire it direct like an electric fuel pump on a car? Thanks!

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC fuel pump wired direct?

so if your not using your starter or the alternator isnt spinning your pump wont run. its duty cycle may not support constant key on running.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here is how Merc does it. They pickup the power to run the pump during starting from the starter. After the oil pressure builds the fuel pump gets power from the purple wire from the ignition switch.<br /><br />
Fuel%20Pump%20Wiring.jpg

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

may work, but that OMC set up was used for years and years by OMC and Volvo, in fact Volvo still uses it with no issues.<br /> unless the wires get corroded.<br />the control wiring is just as critical as the function wireing. if either fail the relay is out of the circuit.