OMC (ford 351) Intake gasket

jmeydenbauer

Seaman Apprentice
Can I use a regular Ford 351 truck motor intake manifold gasket on my 77 OMC 235HP motor or is there something special about the gasket that I should use one designed for the OMC?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: OMC (ford 351) Intake gasket

The exhaust crossover passageway in automotive gaskets are large to keep heat under the carb. In marine applications, that is not needed and factory gaskets just have a metal restrictor plate with a round hole in them.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by seahorse:<br /> The exhaust crossover passageway in automotive gaskets are large to keep heat under the carb. In marine applications, that is not needed and factory gaskets just have a metal restrictor plate with a round hole in them.
Why do you suppose it is not needed, Seahorse?

f_inscreenname

Commander

I use Fel-pro from local auto parts store. I also have had a motor apart after years of use and found no problem with gaskets. All were raw water cooled.

jmeydenbauer

Seaman Apprentice

I seem to remember that when I replaced the intake gasket on my truck several years ago, it came with those metal heat restricters and you could install them or leave them out depending on your application. My boat is FWC so I guess I'll just go with the Fel-pro from the local auto parts shop.<br /><br />Thanks