OMC Fast Idle Lever-Lots of Slop

StillFishin'

Seaman
'82 OMC fast idle lever has lots of play in it when I raise it up from the down postion. I have to raise the lever over half way up before I start to feel any resistance in the lever. The butterflies do open but not until the lever is all the way up. I didn't think it was that way when new but I really can't remenber how it is suppose to act. It doens't seen right the way it is.<br /><br />I do have the factory manual but it doesn't really give any help for this condition. I suppose someithing is wearing out. I'm conserned that one of these days I won't beable to get the fast idle to work at all. <br /><br />Is there some kind of adjustment in the box for this condition? I should metion that the throttle lever does not have slop in it so I wouldn't think it is the cable. <br /><br />Any suggestions of what to look for or to be carefull of when I take the box apart? <br /><br />Thanks guys.<br />StillFishin'

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Fast Idle Lever-Lots of Slop

On the throttle cable at the motor, there is a Trunion nut on the cable for adjustment. Adjust this until it feels right at the fast Idle lever. Does it also take a fair amount of throttle when in gear to get going? This will also make that tighten up also for better responce. Let us know if this solves your problem.

StillFishin'

Seaman

Thanks Rickbd1boat, but I don't think that is the problem. I've played with that as per the manual. Right now it is almost too tight as when I push the lever down there is some resisitance. So I will try to back it off a little but, as I remember that will not help. I'll try to play with it tomarrow and see if it will help. <br /> StillFishin'

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

StillFishin' <br /><br />There is always some slop in the lever. Mine does not do much either until it's 1/4-1/2 way up. Definitely back off the cable nut to relieve the tension when putting it back down. As long as you can fast idle the motor and the shift lever works good, I'd leave it alone. The combination of worn gears and other parts in the control box and a slightly stretched throttle cable will cause some play in the lever. No big deal though. As long as it works..

SCO

Lieutenant

Please dont take the box apart yet. Sounds like your throttle cable is adjusted with those finger screws to far to low idle such that at idle position the throttle cable pushes too hard against the closed throttle position. You need to adjust at the motor till you see movement of the actual carb throttle to close simultaneously with the straight up position of the shifter/throttle. Make sure the neutral throttle lever is completely down when you do this. The symptom of this is too hard when you push down and slop when you pull up on the lever. You would be loading up tension in the cable against the low idle screw. When you pull up you relieve the cable tension without moving the throttle off of the idle stop screw.

clanton

Rear Admiral

There was a replacement lever, mounting bolt, and bushing made to corrected most of the slop. A small plastic part inside the box corrected the rest of the slop. You can look at the lever mounting screw on the outside of the control box to id the new style lever and screw. I cant remember what to look for to id the new part. I dont think there was a service bulletin on this, just a change in the part. I can try to find part numbers later next week, if your local dealer cant find them.

StillFishin'

Seaman

Thanks for the tips. I'll try to play with it today and see what happens.<br /><br />StillFishin'

StillFishin'

Seaman

I tryed backing off the trunion nut but that didn't make any differance. i also noticed that there was a lot of side play like the level was going ot come loose and fall off.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

StillFishin' <br /><br />Take the box apart and tighten the screw that holds the lever on. Use Locktite on it as they tend to come loose. As Clanton said, there is a bushing in there that probably needs to be replaced.

StillFishin'

Seaman

I took the box apart. I had forgotten that a number of years ago the idle lever fell off and I fixed it by tapping it out and putting a nut on the back. Well the nut had come loose and allowed the fast idle handle to be sloppy. This time I put a lock nut on it.At least witht the screw going all the way though it couldn't allow the hangle to fall off like before.<br /><br />But I noticed that the internal fast idle lever(about 2 inches long and 1/2"wide)is realy in bad shape so I'll see about getting a new one.<br /><br />Thanks guys.

davidcarp

Recruit

My 82 OMC fast idle lever had a lot of slob until last night. I removed and opened up the box...carefully...It wasn't difficult. There is a screw on the back side of the lever that was very loose......just had to tighten it. This is not the first screw you see, but the one that actually is the pivot screw for the fast idle lever. There is no slop now

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

David, do you realize that this thread is over 5 years old?