Omc exhaust manifold temp. high

ulster

Cadet
OMC Twin 4.3's starboard manifold runs cool to the touch at just over 3000rpm<br />port runs hot? same RPM not hot enought to burn your hand but hot enough so you can not keep your hand on it?<br />Both motor T stat housings feel the same and the gauges indicate the motors are being cooled OK but I am concerned re the exhaust temp.<br />Cooling lines to the manifolds are cold to the touch (Same on both motors)<br />When idled to 900rpm exhaust cools down Ok is this a problem?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Omc exhaust manifold temp. high

When was the last time the impellers were replaced?<br />If they both have new impellers, I would be looking at manifolds and risers plugging up. How old are they?

ulster

Cadet

This is my 3rd season with this boat (With no problems) I do not know when the impellers were replaced or how old the manifolds are?<br />How do I know if the manifolds and risers are plugging up is there a way to diagnose this <br />The boat is an 86.<br />I am leaning towards changing the impellers.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes, the impellers are due for replacement.<br /><br />Pull the risers and look at them. If they are plugged, it will be obvious.<br />If you aren't sure, there are marine mechancics all around the world that know what they are looking at. Just take them in and ask.

ulster

Cadet

Should the risers be cool to the touch?

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by ulster:<br /> Should the risers be cool to the touch?
Warm... should be able to let your hand rest there for a moment without discomfort.

whywhyzed

Banned

Just checked my OMC 3.8 -After a hard run, they are about 100 degrees F. Left and right the same. My Engine runs 170ish.