OMC Exhaust Manifold crack/repair

miles917

Seaman Apprentice
I have an 88 OMC Cobra, V6 engine. Just replaced the engine do to bad winterization from previous owner. My question is with the one-piece manifolds that were cracked visibly on the outside. Is it a givin that these also cracked on the inside whereas water will enter into the exhaust? Is there a way to pressure test the water jacket in order to see if water is leaking into the exhaust or some other way. Now please dont laugh to hard, I dremmeled out the exterior cracks and had them welded. I have been running the boat and the oil is not milky white like it was when the block and heads were cracked up, but the oil does seem to have an odd look after three oil changes. Im rambling, any ideas would be greatly appreciated on testing the exhaust manifolds or should I just scrap them. Thanks

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: OMC Exhaust Manifold crack/repair

If they are the original one piece type they are way overdue to be replaced.
They were already cracked so they are junk in my opinion.
I would no way risk them with a new motor!
Ebasicpower.com sells the replacements. They are not cheap but they have the best price.

miles917

Seaman Apprentice

another idea/question: am I better off buying the conversion kit at the lovely price of a grand or finding a pair of used original ones that I'm seeing on ebay in the $500 range?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

No way i would buy used. Bite the bullet and get the new ones...:)
Used may look ok on the outside but the passages inside may be rusted out.
I would not chance it.