OMC engine swap

matt123

Recruit
Can someone tell me if I can swap my 3.0 4 cylinder with a 3.8 V6, they are both OMC, will the V6 bolt up to the 4 cylinder bell housing?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: OMC engine swap

The bellhousing bolt pattern is the ONLY thing that will work.

matt123

Recruit

Don, what do you mean that's the ONLY thing that will work?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

First off, I don't do OMC stringer drives, but I do know what they are and how they work. The gear ratio in the drive will be wrong, the exhaust will not hook up to whatever they call that housing behind the engine. Other than that, hang in there till the stinger experts show up.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

not a stringer expert, however years ago I worked on them. havent and wont for about 15 years now.
no profit in working on the salt water junk here.
the bell housing will fit, you may have to fabricate the engine mounts.
the exhaust wont work at all unless the intermediate housing is changed.
the gear ratio in the drive will be off, how far I cant remember.
is this the old buick 225 or is it the chevolet V6? the chevolet has the distributer in the rear, the buick its up front.
the buick is almost impossible to find parts for and the buick used a different bolt pattern than the chevolet.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I had forgotten about the buick engine too, a friend of mine years ago owned one.
no I am gonna have nightmares.
time to tap the santa theresa.
:)

matt123

Recruit

OK, sounds like a pain to swap out the 3.0.... I just got the boat and head is off the 3.0, it's junk! I guess I'll try to find a used one, along with all the head and manifold bolts that are missing. Thanks for all the input!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

for about 1800 you can buy a new 3.0 that will come almost complete, you will only need a manifold,carb and fuel pump. will already have the dist and covers.