OMC ENGINE problem need help please.

cmyers72

Cadet
I have a 1985 sea sprite. It has an OMC Stern drive<br />It has a Gm 181 cid motor. Doesn’t crank over I was told by the original owner he said it ran when he put it away. And a few years later would turn over. I think he didn’t winter rise it 8( I think I may have to replace the engine and the stern drive. I heard this is big bucks for the stern drive around $2500 to $3400. I have seen the long block for around $1300, which doesn’t seem to bad. I just need someone to start me off in the right direction thanks for any help.

TonyS

Cadet
Re: OMC ENGINE problem need help please.

Hi, my boat was very similiar, it was put away for a couple of years. We went through "normal" items to check and replace, fully charged battery, replaced plugs, wires, cap, points and cleaned out carb. Our starter turned out to be seized, once we did all above, we did the old starter bypass( hammer, etc) and she started. So then jut changes starter and she ran well. Most of above just from old experience on cars, not boats, kinda new to boating. I would suggest doing some basic diagnostic to elimate common problems before going to the big ones. My 2 cents, good luck.

cmyers72

Cadet
Re: OMC ENGINE problem need help please.

Thanks TS The starter is out right now and when I get a chance I will talk a wrench and see if it will turn over.