OMC Electronic Shift Assist - Anyone?

I've got a 91 OMC Cobra. When I first got it it seemed to be working fine. However, about 2 weeks after I had a shift cable go out on me and had it replaced. Ever since I've had a problem getting it to go out of gear when shift to neutral from a slow speed. I have to pull back towards reverse to get it out of gear and it takes a lot of effort to do that. I thought the cable just needed adjustment but the guy assured me it was fine and that I may have a problem with the electronic shift assist module. I searched high and low and found the part and replaced it. But I still have the problem. What this module seems to do is stall the engine for a split second to remove the load from the gears so it goes into neutral more easily. Anybody have any experience with this or have any thoughts?

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: OMC Electronic Shift Assist - Anyone?

The kind of boat and engine size might help a little, but it sounds like the shift assist module actuator might be out of adjustment. If you look at the cable that comes from the drive unit, About six inches from the end, there is a triangular piece the cable anchors too. that piece should have a little switch with a roller on it. With the engine running, in neutral, put your finger on the triangular piece and move it in either direction. The roller should ride up onto a high spot and the engine should misfire. If it does not misfire, somthing is wrong in the shift assist circuit. switch, module, loose wires, adjustment.

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class

gregg ,if you have an electronic ignition conversion kit{to replace the points} on this engine the module will not work properly.

FatBack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That bit of info from JohnKC is worth checking this site everyday.

Huh? Who said anything about having an electronic ignition conversion?

FatBack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you don't have one, it's not your problem. It's still good info to know if your like me and work on other peoples engines.Hope you find out what's going on it.

Hey Fatback - like you it was worth the trip on here for me if that info on the funkopolis page turns out to be true. Any thoughts since you work on this stuff? I was thinking of printing it all out and taking it and my boat to my repair guy and basically telling him to keep my boat until it works like the website says it should. I can deal with the tuff shifting but I'm afraid if I ever try to sell it, it will turn a lot of people off. Also want to make sure I'm not slowly doing long term damage by leaving it like it is.

FatBack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's a good question. If he's a reputable dealer I would challenge him with it. If he's like most of them around here he'll just blow you off and you'll have to learn everything there is to know and try and fix it yourself. Its an OMC and their IOs are problematic.I hope I spelled that right.<br /><br />A lot of the time you just have to expriment with adjustments in and out of the water to learn the particular idiosyncrasys of your boat Especialy OMC's. It's my passion.

Then I wish your backyard was next to mine. My repair guy really knows his stuff but he's always rushed. He's a backyard guy with OMC Master Tech skills but he's got more business than he can handle. It takes him weeks to get to me and then he doesn't have the time he needs to get a thorough, quality job done. I like to tinker but only with things I know something about. Outdrives is not one of them. Thanks for your responses.

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You have two switchs...and a module... overstoke and overstroke overide (assist), over stoke cuts the voltage to ign to let it come out of gear. override basically overides the other switch to let the engine run normally. either you have a bad switch or your cable is not adj properly. MY ADVISE FIND ANOTHER MECHANIC!!

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class

gregg, i was not trying to change the subject,you are having a problem with the shift module and i was telling you that an electronic ignition conversion kit,if you have one ,is not compatible with the omc shift assist module .sorry for the misunderstanding.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Greg....you need to get this fixed as long term damage could be a gear set, as mentioned above the simple test is to activate the switch while in neutral and see if the engine stumbles, this is the switch with the lever on it that rides in the V, the other switch just has a small button on it and is activated by cams. If the ESA works when you hit the switch but not when using the gear shift control then it's most likely a transom cable getting sticky or a cable adjustment which Stuart's Cobra page will help you with.