omc drive possible leak

blkrider17

Cadet
I have a 89 four winns with a 351 omc drive while the boat is running in the water it leaves oil streaks but the oil is not coming from the cylinders I think its coming out the exhaust or the drive im not sure what can this be?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: omc drive possible leak

I'd check the od fluid, post haste!

blkrider17

Cadet

I checked the fluid looks like some water got into it but it was still full.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You need to pressure test the drive to see where its leaking. I would also pull the drive in case there is a u-joint bellows tear. If water gets in there, it can ruin you your main shaft seal easily.

blkrider17

Cadet

You need to pressure test the drive to see where its leaking. I would also pull the drive in case there is a u-joint bellows tear. If water gets in there, it can ruin you your main shaft seal easily.

How would I go about pressure checking the drive? Or do you know if its pricey to have a shop do the bellows and all the seals and pressure check?

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

How would I go about pressure checking the drive? Or do you know if its pricey to have a shop do the bellows and all the seals and pressure check?

Any work done by a shop is going to be pricey. If you plan to keep this boat for any length of time I highly suggest you learn how to work on it yourself. Not only is finding an OMC mechanic nearly impossible, when you do find one they always charge a premium because you have an engine/drive system that is extremely dated.

Get yourself the original OMC manual for your drive. You can get them right here on iboats as well as many other places.

As for pressure testing, check out this sticky thread: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=1573303#post1573303

U joint bellows: http://www.iboats.com/Bellows-U-Joi...467-983973-GLM-89200-Sierra/dm/view_id.187676

Head on over to shop.evinrude.com then click on parts then the drop down for stern drive. Find your year and engine/model number and check the exploded parts diagrams and descriptions. I suggest you get the manual first so you can learn before you just go buying parts like crazy. Learn all what parts are needed for any given job.

Good luck!

*Edit* Also, before you buy any parts find out exactly what the part number is and spend some time in google finding the best price. You would be absolutely amazed how wildly the prices for the same part can swing from site to site.